Curly-Wurly Italian Roads

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul

Curly-Wurly Italian Roads

Post by Paul »

Some spurs off the Autostrada in mountainous regions loop right round upon themselves in order to climb or descend to the elevated sections in a small space.

There are a few around Genova. They look cute on maps! :)

By the way, I'm off to Riva del Garda tomorrow for a week in the sun with friends. I've only got space for about 50 frames on the camera so may not be able to squeeze in any roads pics. Plus I have a certain reputation to maintain among 'ordinary folk'. ;) Snapping motorways might be fun but lazing by the lake will be the order of the day I think.

See ya. :D
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Looking for these are a particular passion of mine. There is one on the western shore of Lake Garda here, just NE of the town of Pieve. Then there the C345 north of Malaga in Spain - zoom in on this one - and of course the SB carriageway of the A6 in Italy.

It is also worth noticing how far apart the two carriageways of the A6 are - there must be almost 5km between them in a couple of places. This is the record for this, surely? There must also be some curly-wurley roads in Norway too - its mountainous enough after all - but I haven't looked much there yet.

After visiting Italy for the first time a couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend and I fell in love with the place, so much so we're planning a two week tour next year which will include the Riviera. Seeing the roads in this part of the world in maps when I was about 12 was one of the reasons behind my interest in transport, so I'm looking forward to driving some of them! :D

Andy
Last edited by coasterjunkie on Thu Aug 11, 2005 17:40, edited 2 times in total.
multiraider2

Re: Curly-Wurly Italian Roads

Post by multiraider2 »

Paul wrote:Some spurs off the Autostrada in mountainous regions loop right round upon themselves in order to climb or descend to the elevated sections in a small space.

There are a few around Genova. They look cute on maps! :)
I had the pleasure of driving on that part of the A12 a couple of years ago on a day trip to Camogli from Milan. The A12 here is new build so is just blasted through all the mountains. A great drive as you emerge from tunels onto large viaducts. As you say, beacause of the terain the junctions have to be squeezed in, so a lot of them are very distinctly shaped.

The A7 Milan to Genova road is also interesting near the Genova end. It appears to be a case of dualling by keeping the old road for Genova bound traffic (it's therefore very twisty) and blasting a new road through the mountains for Milan traffic. The carriageways "switch sides" several times.
Paul

Post by Paul »

coasterjunkie wrote:Looking for these are a particular passion of mine. There is one on the western shore of Lake Garda here, just NE of the town of Pieve. Then there the C345 north of Malaga in Spain - zoom in on this one - and of course the SB carriageway of the A6 in Italy.
Uncanny. We took the A4 - Salo - Riva del Garda road last week: the one with about two dozen tunnels along its length.

Your links don't seem to work though.
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

The first link keeps changing itself so it links to the same page as the third one, for some reason! If you search the viamichelin page for Pieve, and select the option already highlighted, then you'll see the map. You'll have to zoom in.

Andy
Gavin A74

Post by Gavin A74 »

Oasis classic "Wonderwall" wrote:And all the roads we have to walk are winding (or something like that!)
I wonder if they wrote that in Italy :wink: ?