Speed limits in Australia

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

CJ

Post by CJ »

But presumably, it doesn't really matter if you're caught speeding whilst on holiday in Australia, since they can't give you points on your UK license so it's nothing to worry about.
B 67

Post by B 67 »

Errr. No.

Regarding international visitors...

From http://www.deltaeuropcar.com.au/driving ... tralia.php

Observe the speed limit
Renters who deliberately speed may have their drivers licence confiscated immediately wherever they are stopped. Fines are often high and they must be paid.

If you leave the country before paying a fine, notification will be sent to your country of residence. Therefore it is important to observe all posted speed limits.

Also from http://www.sydney.com.au/driving-in-australia.htm

In most States the maximum speed limit on freeways and major highways is 100 kph (approx 55 mph) and local urban limits range from 50 – 80 kph (approx 30 - 45 mph). In the Northern Territory there are highways that are free of any limits. All speed limits are clearly marked and all States operate sophisticated speed detection equipment including mobile and static speed cameras along with Red light cameras. Any fine incurred in Australia is the responsibility of the driver and should they be a foreign national the fine will be mailed to their home country address.

There's no mention of if they can or do transfer demerit points as well.

No doubt there are other sites. But you can search for them yourselves. :)
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

B 67,

It's never as simple as that though.

My parents were holidaying in Australia this time last year and were stopped for speeding. Eventually the officer admitted that his filling in the form was a waste of time and chose to give them some helpful tourist info instead!

Transferring 'demerit' points from jurisdiction to jurisdiction is almost impossible, and does not apply. It is only recently that they were even transferred between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and they are still not transferred between the UK (either GB or NI) and the Irish Republic. The problem is legal - if an offence applies within a given jurisdiction, it is up to that jurisdiction to apply it; for example, if I commit an offence in Australia it is up to the Australian authorities to apply the penalty; but only UK authorities can place points on a UK licence. It's a wrangle, and there's no easy answer to it.

Regards,
Ian P.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
B 67

Post by B 67 »

I kind of guessed it was something like that. They can send the fine to you in your home country, but not so easy to make you pay it.

Of course, should you make a return visit to the country you committed the offence in, you may find you are not welcome on arrival at the airport.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

But be careful if you are driving a hire car.

Speeding caught by a speed camera, or parking offences, gets charged to the vehicle. Hire car companies just pay the fine and charge it to the hirer's credit card, plus a fee for their time.... It can get expensive.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
401Guy

Post by 401Guy »

Lucky for all of you! All of the Canadian Provinces have agreements with at least their neighbouring US states, regarding demerit points!!! :cry:

Still, in Ontario, Canada, speed cameras became a political hot potato, and after the 1995 election the winning party got rid of them. No one, seems to have the stones to bring it back. :P

Were the speed limits in Australia ever higher? In Canada, during the oil crisis in the 1970's the speed limit was lowered to 60 MPH from 70. With metricification it increased slightly to 100 km/h (c. 62MPH). Only a few provinces have returned (somewhat) to 110 km/h (c. 68MPH).
contraflows are proof of hell!
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

IJP1 wrote:Transferring 'demerit' points from jurisdiction to jurisdiction is almost impossible, and does not apply. It is only recently that they were even transferred between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and they are still not transferred between the UK (either GB or NI) and the Irish Republic.
Speaking of NI licences, I got given one the other week when asking someone for ID - he handed over what looked to be a terribly bad fake provisional driving licence. I was about to refuse it, when I looked at the address and saw "County Londonderry". I'd never realised before that NI provisional licences were different to GB ones.

This links into my question - are GB provisional licences valid in NI/RoI?
Richard Walker

Post by Richard Walker »

I sometimes see DVLNI licences in the course of my work. As far as I am aware a GB provisional should be valid in Northern Ireland.
I will not sing the chain-gang song, I will not walk the line.
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

401Guy wrote:Were the speed limits in Australia ever higher? In Canada, during the oil crisis in the 1970's the speed limit was lowered to 60 MPH from 70. With metricification it increased slightly to 100 km/h (c. 62MPH). Only a few provinces have returned (somewhat) to 110 km/h (c. 68MPH).
The information from sydney.com.au is not quite right. "Normal" speed limits in Australia are 110 km/h on four-lane divided road; 100 km/h on two-lane roads outside built-up areas; 60 km/h on major roads in built-up areas; and 50km/h on minor roads in built-up areas. Except where the road authority decides the limit should be 90 km/h or 80 km/h or 70 km/h. Or outside schools in the morning and afternoon during school term weekdays, when the limit is 40 km/h.

There is no system for regularly repeating "non-standard" limits, or for indicating which urban roads are major. Better keep a good lookout for speed limit signs and remember what was the last one you saw.

The urban speed limit in Australia was set at 30 mph in the 1930s. In the late 1950s, the motoring organisations claimed that the "advanced state of modern cars" allowed a higher limit, so it was changed to 35 mph. With metrication in the 1970s, this became 60 km/h. It is only in the past five years or so that the various State governments have realised this is a bit fast for urban areas and have brought it back to 50 km/h. Mostly.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Yes, GB provisional licences are valid in NI.

In fact, the distinction will soon have disappeared altogether. After all, not only are we all together in the UK, we're all together in the EU!

The licences were always valid, but it's within the last ten years that penalties became transferable between them.

Ian P.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)