Furthest you can drive from Britain?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

luchar

Post by luchar »

What about the furthest you can drive without leaving motorway-status (or approaching) roads (considering you can use the Channel Tunnel)? By 2015, Ankara? Since there is a motorway linking Istanbul and Ankara and Istanbul and the border.
MOTORAL1987
Banned

Post by MOTORAL1987 »

Singapore is the limit that you can travel by car from Britain
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

luchar wrote:What about the furthest you can drive without leaving motorway-status (or approaching) roads (considering you can use the Channel Tunnel)? By 2015, Ankara? Since there is a motorway linking Istanbul and Ankara and Istanbul and the border.
I would have thought by 2015 you could get to Moscow and beyond (Nizhny Novgorod perhaps), which is slightly further as the crow flies than Ankara. The road through Belarus and Russia is supposedly "motorway standard" (albeit Soviet :lol:) and Poland is cracking on with its network.
luchar

Post by luchar »

ChrisH wrote:
luchar wrote:What about the furthest you can drive without leaving motorway-status (or approaching) roads (considering you can use the Channel Tunnel)? By 2015, Ankara? Since there is a motorway linking Istanbul and Ankara and Istanbul and the border.
I would have thought by 2015 you could get to Moscow and beyond (Nizhny Novgorod perhaps), which is slightly further as the crow flies than Ankara. The road through Belarus and Russia is supposedly "motorway standard" (albeit Soviet :lol:) and Poland is cracking on with its network.
I am not sure the 4 lane hwy around Minsk in Bielorussia is a "motorway".... And from the Bielorrussian border to Moscow, I don't think the road is grade separated or will be...
Michael
Former Member

Post by Michael »

luchar wrote:
ChrisH wrote:
I am not sure the 4 lane hwy around Minsk in Bielorussia is a "motorway".... And from the Bielorrussian border to Moscow, I don't think the road is grade separated or will be...
I don't think it's even motorway standard from Warsaw to the Belarus border. I think some of it might be, but I'd find it hard to believe that it would be motorway standard the whole way.
luchar

Post by luchar »

From Warsaw to the border, it isn't even a dual carriageway the whole way. And there isn't even a motorway to link Warsaw with Germany. It's supposed to be the A2, but the new gov't just voted a law which will cancel most of the private concessions on the motorways, which will depend on the state for construction and maintenance.