Furthest signed distance on a white sign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Furthest signed distance on a white sign

Post by Osthagen »

Towards the southernmost extremes of the A82 in the Blairdardie area of Glasgow, you'll come across this sign with a pretty glaring distance for a white, non-primary route sign. Its listing of "Stirling 30" and "Edinburgh 49" is high for such a sign as it is, but right at the bottom is "Carlisle 103".

This, so far as I am aware, is the only RCS on the entire UK non-primary road network to feature a distance exceeding 100 miles. Further up even the same route, I can't recall any signs giving a higher distance to Carlisle.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
SteelCamel

Re: Furthest signed distance on a white sign

Post by SteelCamel »

Osthagen wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 00:45 Towards the southernmost extremes of the A82 in the Blairdardie area of Glasgow, you'll come across this sign with a pretty glaring distance for a white, non-primary route sign. Its listing of "Stirling 30" and "Edinburgh 49" is high for such a sign as it is, but right at the bottom is "Carlisle 103".

This, so far as I am aware, is the only RCS on the entire UK non-primary road network to feature a distance exceeding 100 miles. Further up even the same route, I can't recall any signs giving a higher distance to Carlisle.
It depends on the exact question. This sign is clearly a RCS on a non-primary road, and shows 170 miles. But it's not a white sign, it's a brown (tourist) sign.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

The nearest one to me is a pitful 31 miles to Stoke on Trent from Lymm interchange along the A50 https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3596493 ... 384!8i8192
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

The A3123 at Mullacott Cross has Taunton 64, Exeter 66 (both via the M5 from jnc 27, but rejoining the A361 at South Molton). Both quite decent distances for a non-primary route.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Have one on a C road!
C330 (Hampshire)
The old A30, so it's not completely stupid.

From the SABRE Wiki: C330 (Hampshire) :

Hampshire County Council's Class III C330 follows the old route of the A30 from Sutton Scotney, to Micheldever Station, instead of its current alignment that meets that A303 and A34 at Bullington Cross. This is mostly just a direct route, until we reach the A303 at a T junction... well, a left turn slip access the Westbound carriageway. Here we turn right to stay on the C330, before almost immediately meeting the [[C29

... Read More
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

This one on the Fosse Way at 39 miles for Leicester. On the southern side of the roundabout in the opposite direction, you've got Cirencester at 37 miles.
solocle

Post by solocle »

danfw194 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:42 This one on the Fosse Way at 39 miles for Leicester. On the southern side of the roundabout in the opposite direction, you've got Cirencester at 37 miles.
I have a photo with that very sign :D
Cirencester is actually signed substantially further north, at Brinklow:
I wasn't headed in that direction, so didn't spot any RCS.

But using that as a hint, I've found this one on Google:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Osthagen wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 00:45 Towards the southernmost extremes of the A82 in the Blairdardie area of Glasgow, you'll come across this sign with a pretty glaring distance for a white, non-primary route sign. Its listing of "Stirling 30" and "Edinburgh 49" is high for such a sign as it is, but right at the bottom is "Carlisle 103".

The A941 says hello.

https://goo.gl/maps/d9K7y9a8FxMRwsCe6

Perth 130.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jervi

Post by jervi »

I've only got 68
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.97406 ... 384!8i8192

But it is a traditional fingerpost sign.
solocle

Post by solocle »

jervi wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 20:25 I've only got 68
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.97406 ... 384!8i8192

But it is a traditional fingerpost sign.
This is white, I suppose...
238106A5-F2DB-4B7B-AA26-3E09121E2138.jpeg
Of course then you can't beat this fingerpost...
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

solocle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 08:44 Have one on a C road!
C330 (Hampshire)
I didn't know that RCSs were ever built for C-roads.

Hampshire County Council's Class III C330 follows the old route of the A30 from Sutton Scotney, to Micheldever Station, instead of its current alignment that meets that A303 and A34 at Bullington Cross. This is mostly just a direct route, until we reach the A303 at a T junction... well, a left turn slip access the Westbound carriageway. Here we turn right to stay on the C330, before almost immediately meeting the [[C29

... Read More
solocle

Post by solocle »

Rillington wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 17:15
C330 (Hampshire)
I'm assuming it's from when this section was the A30. Clearly it's been replaced at some point, and consequently they've actually thought to drop the A30 number.

A nice little oddity.

... Read More
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

There are still some milestones on the A1198 (old A14) aka Ermine Street. This one is between Royston and Caxton Gibbet.

Then there is this one on a bypassed piece of A1 at Warrenford.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.55121 ... 6656?hl=en
Dan Lockton

Post by Dan Lockton »

solocle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 17:26
Rillington wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 17:15
C330 (Hampshire)
I'm assuming it's from when this section was the A30. Clearly it's been replaced at some point, and consequently they've actually thought to drop the A30 number.

A nice little oddity.
I love seeing this sign on the few occasions I've intentionally taken that "forgotten" length of old A30 — it's like a reminder for those "in the know" (or someone somehow following an itinerary from 30 years previously) that they're on the right road. A nod to the ghosts of Roman legions who used that same road 1800 years ago that this is still the way to the places they remember. I'd prefer it if it listed Exeter too, though, perhaps even Land's End given that this was, once upon a time, the route there.

... Read More
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

are there any other RCSs on C-roads?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

From the SABRE Wiki: C1222 (Highland) :

The C1222 is the eastern approach to the pretty village of Plockton, starting on the A890 at Achmore, near Strome Ferry. Indeed, the first half mile or so through Achmore village is the old line of the A890, before the new road was built. From Achmore, the route heads west, winding through the trees on the steep slope above Loch Carron. Below, the railway takes a lower route, mostly along the shore and passing in front of Duncraig Castle. As the C1222 passes behind the castle,

... Read More
jnty

Post by jnty »

Glen wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 20:31 On the C1222 (Highland):

Presumably similarly an echo of being the old A890. Maybe that was the old location of an RCS after the Strome Ferry junction - or perhaps originally the first one off the ferry? Interestingly there isn't actually one on the A890 around there.

From the SABRE Wiki: C1222 (Highland) :

The C1222 is the eastern approach to the pretty village of Plockton, starting on the A890 at Achmore, near Strome Ferry. Indeed, the first half mile or so through Achmore village is the old line of the A890, before the new road was built. From Achmore, the route heads west, winding through the trees on the steep slope above Loch Carron. Below, the railway takes a lower route, mostly along the shore and passing in front of Duncraig Castle. As the C1222 passes behind the castle,

... Read More