Shortest Lived Improvement?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Shortest Lived Improvement?

Post by Owain »

Unfortunately not short-lived, but should be: this crossroads on the A647

Previously, it was possible to drive south-north through the junction between Branch Road and Ledgard Way, and vice versa. In their infinite wisdom, somebody decided that Branch Road traffic had to be "right-turn only" onto the A647 eastbound, with the result that the whole of Armley Town Street is now gridlocked every weekday morning. Only one movement has been removed - Branch Road to Ledgard Way - but the impact is devastating, and the motive for doing it quite beyond me...
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

There was a short-lived roundabout on the A14 here in 1991 between the opening of the Thrapston and Kettering sections.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 08:44
Steven wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 08:19 The Keyway Stage II has to be one of the most ridiculous - a 5 year life span before being mostly torn up.
I think that has to be one of the winners in terms of scale.

On a much lower scale a mini-roundabout installed on the A629 at the Calder and Hebble Junction lasted for a few weeks before it was ripped out for causing chaos. This reminds me, I must check the progress of that new junction sometime...
It's getting there, though the signs advising of an anticipated completion in Spring/Summer 2023 have had to be ... shall we say "updated".

Most of the new road that will run alongside the present B6112 is done and surfaced, along with the new roundabout, and some (but I don't think all) of the new signage is in place. The bridge linking this road to the A629 does not look anywhere near complete, however (although the basic structure is in place), and nothing has been done in respect of converting the present B6112 into a bus lane - presumably that can't start until traffic has been diverted onto the new road.

Very nearby to this, and back on topic, there was a very short-lived attempt to provide a right turn filter arrow at West Vale for traffic heading away from Elland on the B6113 wanting to access the B6112 towards Halifax, which was bagged up after a couple of months and permanently removed some time after that.

From the SABRE Wiki: The Keyway :

The Keyway is a completed road scheme along A454 on the east side of Wolverhampton, forming the western side of the second and third bypasses of Willenhall.

The original plan for The Keyway was as the Willenhall