OS Quarter Inch annual revisions

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Re: OS Quarter Inch annual revisions

Post by Ritchie333 »

The first thing that leapt out is the 1959 revision, which shows the A40 Ross on Wye bypass complete, whereas my understanding is this was still under construction. However, as that's an English scheme, it's partially cropped off the end of the map.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Ritchie333 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:49 The first thing that leapt out is the 1959 revision, which shows the A40 Ross on Wye bypass complete, whereas my understanding is this was still under construction. However, as that's an English scheme, it's partially cropped off the end of the map.
The Wiki 1960s page says the bypass was opened on 3 September 1960 and the M50 on 28 November.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm more drawn to the vast network of railways shown on the 1959 map. The interior of Wales has stations seemingly in the middle of nowhere. What amazing heritage lines they would make today if someone had the money and will to restore them.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 14:37 I'm more drawn to the vast network of railways shown on the 1959 map. The interior of Wales has stations seemingly in the middle of nowhere. What amazing heritage lines they would make today if someone had the money and will to restore them.
I was looking at that too. I drove through Newbridge on Wye on Sunday; I had no idea there was a former line and station there.

Good to see the M4 and M5 progress as you work through the set.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

New on SABRE Maps are four additional OS Quarter Inch maps from the immediate post-war period. Whilst SABRE Maps already has a large collection from this era, these additional editions of the following sheets from the England and Wales series:
* Sheet 1 (The Border) Revision 20046
* Sheet 7 (South Wales) Revision 2027
* Sheet 12 (England, South East and London) Revision 25045/Ch

And the following from the Scottish series:
* Sheet 4 (Glasgow and the Middle West) Revision 2019

They can be found on the OS Quarter Inch section of SABRE Maps, on the 1945, 1946, 1948 and 1950 layers.

This means that we're only missing five post-war editions of this series - could you help us acquire these, perhaps by scanning items in your personal collection?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Quarter Inch coverage project#Which Fourth Edition maps are actually available? :

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of various series of OS, OSI and OSNI maps at the Quarter Inch and 1:250,000 scales.

Within Ordnance Survey, Quarter Inch maps were generally considered to be motoring maps, and as such were the first "standard" series to include road numbers on them, starting in 1929 on the Third Edition (New Series) mapping. These were then replaced in the mid-1930s by the Fourth Edition, easily recognised by the very tall sheet

... Read More