M180 J3 to J2 Bridge works

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

XC70

M180 J3 to J2 Bridge works

Post by XC70 »

Anyone know what is going on with the above project?

We have had about 2 years of a lane 1 closure under the bridge with a 70 limit. Then about 5 months ago things seemed to start happening with a 50 limit, contractor cabins at the side of the road and some concrete blocks protecting lane 1. We then had a few weekend closures where they removed one of the beams on the over bridge, and the following closure replaced the beam with a new one. The road re-opened with a 30 limit through the works. Now the road was closed again last weekend and it would appear that the beam has been removed and from what I could judge coming the other way, the 30 limit is gone. So I am somewhat confused what needs to be done and what is happening. Anyone got any insider knowledge?
XC70

Re: M180 J3 to J2 Bridge works

Post by XC70 »

Guess it is just a mystery then. I will keep watching for progress.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Yes, the beam had the wrong dimensions, I can't recall exactly what was measured wrong, I wasn't aware of what decision was made, sounds like they've taken it out & maybe casting a new beam. A lorry hit the bridge which caused the original beam to be damaged & needing replacing IIRC.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Ah I see. Thanks for the info.

Not sure why there was the 30 limit for a couple of weeks, although there are adjacent pylon restringing works so maybe to do with that.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

XC70 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 20:46 Ah I see. Thanks for the info.

Not sure why there was the 30 limit for a couple of weeks, although there are adjacent pylon restringing works so maybe to do with that.
The 30 limit, with no enforcement at all, was ridiculously dangerous with some extreme speed differences between those observing it and those who... were not.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 13:24
XC70 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 20:46 Ah I see. Thanks for the info.

The 30 limit, with no enforcement at all, was ridiculously dangerous with some extreme speed differences between those observing it and those who... were not.
Yup. Indeed. I value my licence so at risk of enforcement other than cameras, came down to 30 as safely as possible in the inside lane and braced for the HGVs flying past.....