Forth Replacement Crossing

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Re: Forth Replacement Crossing

Post by Duncan macknight »

A completely off topic but sorta related update, the concrete on the M90 has all been resurfaced.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Duncan macknight wrote:A completely off topic but sorta related update, the concrete on the M90 has all been resurfaced.
I didnt know it had had concrete! Then again September this year was the first time I had driven all of it!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

lotrjw wrote:
Duncan macknight wrote:A completely off topic but sorta related update, the concrete on the M90 has all been resurfaced.
I didnt know it had had concrete! Then again September this year was the first time I had driven all of it!
The Kinross bypass (1972) was the first to use a concrete surface. It had become well worn and was in need of repair. That’s also the section without the hard shoulder! In other news the Queensferry crossing is coping well with the 70mph speed limit. Still the problems with traffic bunching up in the fast lane.
A72

Post by A72 »

I did enjoy driving that section. :(

At least the A1, south of Torness, still has its concrete.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

A72 wrote:
I did enjoy driving that section. :(

At least the A1, south of Torness, still has its concrete.
I remember the first time I drove on that, off the Glenfarg flyover, booting the Saab on the tar down the sliplane and then onto that rough lumpy mess.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Nwallace wrote: I remember the first time I drove on that, off the Glenfarg flyover, booting the Saab on the tar down the sliplane and then onto that rough lumpy mess.
That's better than what you experience now. Any attempt to use junction 8 in recent months has sent on a detour through Kinross.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Burns wrote:
Nwallace wrote: I remember the first time I drove on that, off the Glenfarg flyover, booting the Saab on the tar down the sliplane and then onto that rough lumpy mess.
That's better than what you experience now. Any attempt to use junction 8 in recent months has sent on a detour through Kinross.
Not been that way in ages

Also just found out the right name for the junction (given that Glenfarg is on the other side of the Ochils)
http://roadworks.bearscot.com/Home/7127 ... +off-slip/
A72

Post by A72 »

The Queensferry Crossing is much more fun, when driven at its correct speed, like I was able to do, last night. :D

Not many people were joining-in the fun, though, and seemed content to sit at 40-50. :?
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
FtoE

Post by FtoE »

I drove over late on Thursday in pretty thick fog. The closely spaced low-level white lights (on the viaduct sections only) while driving into the fog made for a surreal experience!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

For other examples of the same Thorn low-level lighting, see the Holm Mills Bridge or Landshut Bridge.
PaulLothian

Post by PaulLothian »

Nwallace wrote:Also just found out the right name for the junction (given that Glenfarg is on the other side of the Ochils)
I have to say that I must have been up and down the M90 three or four hundred times in the last 40 years and had never known that that junction (Arlary) had a name! That is, until recently when it appeared on an advanced electronic warning sign, and I had to look it up when I got home. We have always called it the Glenfarg Junction, given that Glenfarg (the village, rather than the glen) is only a couple of miles along the road, and that quite often, when using the junction, we have been heading to the village.

Won't be sorry to lose the last of the concrete sections!
Burns

Post by Burns »

I always knew junction 8 had an official name but I can never remember what it is. I always refer to it as the Glenfarg junction as well.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Dad tells me that there used to be a petrol station in the middle of the triangle at the divergence of the A90 and A91, but just like with the Old BP Station at Forgan Roundabout can't find any photos of it.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

PaulLothian wrote:
Nwallace wrote:Also just found out the right name for the junction (given that Glenfarg is on the other side of the Ochils)
I have to say that I must have been up and down the M90 three or four hundred times in the last 40 years and had never known that that junction (Arlary) had a name! That is, until recently when it appeared on an advanced electronic warning sign, and I had to look it up when I got home. We have always called it the Glenfarg Junction, given that Glenfarg (the village, rather than the glen) is only a couple of miles along the road, and that quite often, when using the junction, we have been heading to the village.
The ones that have names:
J1(c) Admiralty
J2 Masterton
J3 Halbeath
J4 Cocklaw
J5 Gairneybridge
J6 Kinross
J7 Hilton
J8 Arlary
J9 Muirmont
J10 Craigend
J11 Barnhill
Burns

Post by Burns »

novaecosse wrote: J4 Cocklaw
Welcome to Kelty.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The third section of M90 to be built was called Arlary to Arngask.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

wrinkly wrote:The third section of M90 to be built was called Arlary to Arngask.
Was it? I’m pretty sure that the third section of the M90 was the Kinross bypass which went from Gairneybridge (a terminus at Lochran, more accurately) up to Arlary. After that the next section was Arlary to Arngask although the road did terminate a bit further on than Arngask. Bridge of Earn to Craigend may have opened before this mind you..
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The Construction Timleine on CBRD: http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m90 suggests otherwise, unless construction sections were opened a bit at a time.

I've also compiled the dates on the wiki here: Scottish_Motorway_Opening_Dates
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Scottish Motorway Opening Dates :

his data has been collated from Roads.org.uk (formerly CBRD) Motorway Database pages, and then expanded. Asterisks (*) indicate a temporary terminus near the current junction numbered.

| class4 |- !Motorway !Month !Year !Section !Notes |- |M90 |9 |1964 |J1C - J2* |Forth Road Bridge Northern Approach Roads |- |A823(M) |9 |1964 |Entire motorway | |- |M8 |11 |1964 |J4A* - J5* |Harthill Bypass

... Read More
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Burns wrote:
Welcome to Kelty.
You're welcome to it alright.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Burns wrote:
Welcome to Kelty.
You've missed a few un-printable words there.

Never known anyone from Kelty to be anything other than needlessly and offensively verbose.