A601(M) Carnforth Link Road Downgrading

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: A601(M) Carnforth Link Road Downgrading

Post by wrinkly »

By mid-1965 the M6 was continuous from J13 to J35, and D3M except for 29-32 and 33-35. I can remember people complaining that it was criminal that those sections had only two lanes. Ideas of what counted as a busy motorway were very different then from now.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

RJDG14 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:57 I can't think of any other stretches of motorway in the UK being built with a wide central reservation with provision for future widening.
I think the M5 between Clevedon and Weston is another example. Part of the reasoning was to accommodate the extra traffic from the (unbuilt) South Bristol Road joining at Clevedon, and the (unbuilt) Weston Spur departing six miles later at J21. Changes to the sliproads at J21 have seen the loss of some of the central reservation in that area.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
owen b

Post by owen b »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 08:20
RJDG14 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:57 I can't think of any other stretches of motorway in the UK being built with a wide central reservation with provision for future widening.
I think the M5 between Clevedon and Weston is another example. Part of the reasoning was to accommodate the extra traffic from the (unbuilt) South Bristol Road joining at Clevedon, and the (unbuilt) Weston Spur departing six miles later at J21. Changes to the sliproads at J21 have seen the loss of some of the central reservation in that area.
I have an idea part of the M25 (south west or maybe Heathrow section?) was also built with a similar kind of provision which was fairly soon used.
Owen
solocle

Post by solocle »

Signs are still there
4FBF3451-DB3E-4479-A375-06619138E1EC.jpeg
8A649ADD-CC77-4985-B1BD-F207E747CF28.jpeg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

solocle wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 06:00 Signs are still there
4FBF3451-DB3E-4479-A375-06619138E1EC.jpeg8A649ADD-CC77-4985-B1BD-F207E747CF28.jpeg
Those will be for a while as National Highways will be responsible for replacing them and that requires them and LCC to engage in what I can guarantee will be extremely protracted and expensive negotiating episodes instead of someone JFDI and putting in replacement signs.

NH still haven't agreed to have Bolton replace the signs pointing to the Macron Stadium, despite it changing sponsors 2 years ago and about to change sponsors again.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 Those will be for a while as National Highways will be responsible for replacing them and that requires them and LCC to engage in what I can guarantee will be extremely protracted and expensive negotiating episodes instead of someone JFDI and putting in replacement signs.

NH still haven't agreed to have Bolton replace the signs pointing to the Macron Stadium, despite it changing sponsors 2 years ago and about to change sponsors again.
ISTR the M56 still has no indication that the A555 exists, despite it linking to the airport Spur some years ago now, and probably for the same reason.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Chris5156 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:10
Bryn666 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 Those will be for a while as National Highways will be responsible for replacing them and that requires them and LCC to engage in what I can guarantee will be extremely protracted and expensive negotiating episodes instead of someone JFDI and putting in replacement signs.

ISTR the M56 still has no indication that the A555 exists, despite it linking to the airport Spur some years ago now, and probably for the same reason.
Might that not be deliberate?

IIRC the A55 was sold as an airport access road and local distributor and not a way for people to skip the M56 / M60 to get to or from Stockport say.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:31
They want new signs? Tough Sheet!
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

I've just put a video up of the A6070 (A601M) filmed in April. see: https://youtu.be/4XbD2SPDKzk
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Christ the signage is appallingly mismatched
Berk

Post by Berk »

Has anyone not noticed the mismatch between LCC’s position that the A6070 must be open to non-motorised users, and its equal insistence that the B6601 must also be TRO’d to exclude peds and cyclists.

Surely they’ve got this completely the wrong way round?? Shouldn’t peds and cyclists be using the A6 northbound?? And if the southbound road needs an exclusion on it because it connects to a motorway, shouldn’t it have been classified as an A-road when it was downgraded??

Not that that makes a material difference, but it sends a message of sorts.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Berk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 20:57 Has anyone not noticed the mismatch between LCC’s position that the A6070 must be open to non-motorised users, and its equal insistence that the B6601 must also be TRO’d to exclude peds and cyclists.

Surely they’ve got this completely the wrong way round?? Shouldn’t peds and cyclists be using the A6 northbound?? And if the southbound road needs an exclusion on it because it connects to a motorway, shouldn’t it have been classified as an A-road when it was downgraded??

The southern section has a parallel cycle route that serves the Porsche development, therefore there is no need to cycle on the main carriageway. The northern section is badly signed but if the hard shoulders etc are to be removed and not replaced with active travel infrastructure then there will be a TRO applied to that before long as a safety audit will hit the roof.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The former A601(M) is now shown as the A6070 on the latest OS online mapping although it also shows the road between the M6 and Lancaster as the A683 when it's actually the A589.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Berk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 20:57 Has anyone not noticed the mismatch between LCC’s position that the A6070 must be open to non-motorised users, and its equal insistence that the B6601 must also be TRO’d to exclude peds and cyclists.

I did actually question it when they made that TRO permanent, the maps didn't show the cycle route, and then there was the A6070 in the wings.

Basically their position with the B6601 was that it made no sense to allow cyclists onto it when it led to a roundabout with two motorways, and the only legal route to go back the way you came.

Although Leicestershire seem to take a different view with the A5460:

From the SABRE Wiki: A5460 :

The A5460 links the motorway network on the southwest side of Leicester to the city centre. For the major part of its length it follows the original Fosse Way course of the A46 along Narborough Road South and Narborough Road.

Starting at Whetstone Interchange, Junction 21 of the M1 and Junction 3 of the M69, it runs first

... Read More