Old USGS imagery showing former road layouts

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Old USGS imagery showing former road layouts

Post by Berk »

It does appear so, yes. Looks like they slewed the northbound carriageway a little to the south.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Berk wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:07 It does appear so, yes. Looks like they slewed the northbound carriageway a little to the south.
There was previously a railway line on roughly the alignment of the modern A34. I'd imagine it closed during the early-mid 1960s, which was when quite a lot of less major railway lines ceased operation.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
tom66

Post by tom66 »

Which particular data set on the USGS website are you getting these images from?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The relative positions of the present A34/A33 junction, the original Winchester bypass and the former railway line can be checked on SABRE Maps using the 1950s 1:25000 map (under "OS one-inch maps") and the fader to the modern map. There's also a good article on the Winchester Bypass on the Wiki.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

tom66 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 23:17 Which particular data set on the USGS website are you getting these images from?
Mostly the "Declass 3" one, which consists of high resolution KH9 satellite imagery taken mostly during the 1970s. As I said earlier, only a small proportion of imagery in the dataset is currently available to download on demand because many of the negatives haven't been digitised at a high resolution, but these ones were available.

The two Northern Irish ones were sourced from the Declass 2 dataset, which consists mostly of lower resolution imagery.

There looks to be a small amount of downloadable Declass 3 KH9 imagery from 1982 of southern Scotland, but there is a lot of cloud cover so I don't really think it's worth me downloading for analysis.
RJDG14

The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

RJDG14 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 09:28
tom66 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 23:17 Which particular data set on the USGS website are you getting these images from?
Mostly the "Declass 3" one, which consists of high resolution KH9 satellite imagery taken mostly during the 1970s. As I said earlier, only a small proportion of imagery in the dataset is currently available to download on demand because many of the negatives haven't been digitised at a high resolution, but these ones were available.

The two Northern Irish ones were sourced from the Declass 2 dataset, which consists mostly of lower resolution imagery.

There looks to be a small amount of downloadable Declass 3 KH9 imagery from 1982 of southern Scotland, but there is a lot of cloud cover so I don't really think it's worth me downloading for analysis.
Can I request one thing? The request is St Georges Interchange or M5 J21. It should have opened around that time.
Fantasy Strip Map Creator- feel free to send me some requests!

As a wise roadie said, don't make any mistakes in building roads.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

I did say that there was currently no downloadable imagery north of Merseyside and The Wash, however I have stumbled upon a lower resolution Declass 2 image from 1977 featuring much of the Humberside and eastern Yorkshire area, and thought it would be interesting to share a snippet from it featuring the long gone A18(M) as seen during the construction of the modern M180:

RJDG14

----
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

JackieRoads wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 09:33

Can I request one thing? The request is St Georges Interchange or M5 J21. It should have opened around that time.
Here we are. It looked much the same as now (aside from the road heading into Weston Super Mare not being fully dualled) but did look fairly new:

By the way, what's up with that rather weird split lane layout on what I assume to be the A370? It looks like some sort of future road provision proofing.

From what I can tell based on the 1973 imagery, most of the M5 was completed or in the final stages of completion by 1973 with the exception of the Avonmouth Bridge which was in the earlier stages of construction.
RJDG14

----
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

RJDG14 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:11

Here we are. It looked much the same as now (aside from the road heading into Weston Super Mare not being fully dualled) but did look fairly new:

By the way, what's up with that rather weird split lane layout on what I assume to be the A370? It looks like some sort of future road provision proofing.

From what I can tell based on the 1973 imagery, most of the M5 was completed or in the final stages of completion by 1973 with the exception of the Avonmouth Bridge which was in the earlier stages of construction.

I will omit the traditional 'sheesh' but its in the wiki

[quote=''https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=A370]
Section 2: Weston-super-Mare – East Brent
From one GSJ, the A370 quickly reaches another, just off the motorway junction. The A370 used to turn off here, over a future proofed bridge and run through Worle on what is now the B3440 (a duplicated number from Devon!), but a new dual carriageway known as "Somerset Avenue" now keeps traffic out of the built-up area, with roundabouts providing access to local roads, the A371, and the absurd A3033 - a ridiculously short road whose only purpose is to connect the A370 to itself. The new section of road terminates at Tescos, after crossing the railway and just short of the sea front. A loop round the town hall leads onto the beach lawns, where the A370 abruptly turns left and follows the front, losing primary status once more.
[/quote]

From the SABRE Wiki: A370 :

The A370 is a route which heads south west from Bristol to the coastal resort of Weston-super-Mare, and then continues south to rejoin the A38. As such, it can be considered a "long-way-around" route - to travel from one end to the other it would be more direct and probably quicker to take the A38. In many cases such circuitous routes are caused by extension of a pre-existing number, but in this case it appears that the A370 had essentially the same route as it had in the

... Read More
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

This is the M32 between J2 and J3 under construction in 1973:

RJDG14

----
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I will omit the traditional 'sheesh' but its in the wiki

[quote=''https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... title=A370]
Section 2: Weston-super-Mare – East Brent
From one GSJ, the A370 quickly reaches another, just off the motorway junction. The A370 used to turn off here, over a future proofed bridge and run through Worle on what is now the B3440 (a duplicated number from Devon!), but a new dual carriageway known as "Somerset Avenue" now keeps traffic out of the built-up area, with roundabouts providing access to local roads, the A371, and the absurd A3033 - a ridiculously short road whose only purpose is to connect the A370 to itself. The new section of road terminates at Tescos, after crossing the railway and just short of the sea front. A loop round the town hall leads onto the beach lawns, where the A370 abruptly turns left and follows the front, losing primary status once more.
[/quote]

It caught me by surprise about 5 years ago as I hadn't been into Weston since the mid 1970's, I was trying to get to the helicopter museum.

From the SABRE Wiki: A370 :

The A370 is a route which heads south west from Bristol to the coastal resort of Weston-super-Mare, and then continues south to rejoin the A38. As such, it can be considered a "long-way-around" route - to travel from one end to the other it would be more direct and probably quicker to take the A38. In many cases such circuitous routes are caused by extension of a pre-existing number, but in this case it appears that the A370 had essentially the same route as it had in the

... Read More
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

I don't suppose they have the area that became M27 / M275 Junction 12? Would be interesting to see a 1973 view of that.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Indeed it was. According to the wiki page of the interchange, the A370 was dualled from the motorway into the town centre, meaning I think there were new roundabouts built all the way, into the retail park area. And it's quite interesting seeing all of this.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RJDG14 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:32 This is the M32 between J2 and J3 under construction in 1973:

I see Eastville stadium there, the former home of Bristol Rovers FC, now demolished. The nearby gasworks gave the team the unofficial nickname of "The Gas" with fans known as "Gasheads" (the official nickname is "The Pirates", but where's the fun in that?). Rovers left the stadium and spent some years playing in Bath as the tenants of Bath City FC, but now play at the Memorial Stadium, the former home of Bristol RFC, who ironically now share Ashton Gate stadium with Bristol City FC.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Sheesh, doesn't anyone read PM any more?

The A370 split and the M5 junction design is for the Weston-super-Mare Spur.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:49 Sheesh, doesn't anyone read PM any more?

Which wasn't eventually built.

RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

JackieRoads wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 14:16
Steven wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:49 Sheesh, doesn't anyone read PM any more?

Which wasn't eventually built.
The modern A370 I believe does use the washed up remains of the Weston-Super-Mare Spur, at least as far as this provisional layout is concerned. Likewise the Long Ashton Bypass is based on the washed up remains of the South Bristol Spur.
RJDG14

----
GillsPeter

Post by GillsPeter »

How are you able to get such detailed imagery close in? I've been trying to download the files, but they blur when I start to zoom in.
JackieRoads

Post by JackieRoads »

Speaking of which, should we bring this back so we can see some more old layouts in old images? It's been 11 days.

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

JackieRoads wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 21:05 Speaking of which, should we bring this back so we can see some more old layouts in old images? It's been 11 days.
Bring what back? All RJDG14 did was download something the USGS have made public, anyone can do it?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.