Smallest place signed from a motorway?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Barkstar

Re: Smallest place signed from a motorway?

Post by Barkstar »

Trust me to overlook the very obvious :facepalm: Jct 11 on the M56 is SP Daresbury and Preston Brook - 246 and 809 residents respectively. I only use it a couple of times a week.
Tater656

Post by Tater656 »

jabbaboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 07:34 You's are all talking about Scotch Corner but Piercebridge, the next junction North with 113 people, must be up there.
I was just popping in to mention this. Piercebridge is tiny but then I guess where else would you sign as a destination for the B6275? Bishop Auckland is much better routed via the A68 and Barnard Castle the A66 (or I would argue a new junction with the A67 to serve the west end of Darlington as the A68 West Auckland Road is a nightmare with west end traffic coming from the north). "Staindrop (B6279)" perhaps but then that is still really quite small (though bigger than Piercebridge)

On another note I think the reason Scotch Corner is being mentioned so often is the distance it is signed from. With its incredibly tiny population it seems mad to be signed from the end of the A194(M) and M6 J40 - Darlington would serve much better as a destination in these cases. Though personally I wouldn't count Scotch Corner as a settlement, instead a major junction that warrants signage and happens to have a few people living there (though you could argue those living there are maybe part of Middleton Tyas?)
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Tater656 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 18:16 I was just popping in to mention this. Piercebridge is tiny but then I guess where else would you sign as a destination for the B6275? Bishop Auckland is much better routed via the A68 and Barnard Castle the A66 (or I would argue a new junction with the A67 to serve the west end of Darlington as the A68 West Auckland Road is a nightmare with west end traffic coming from the north). "Staindrop (B6279)" perhaps but then that is still really quite small (though bigger than Piercebridge)
Yeah totally agreed, it must be up there with one of the most pointless motorway junctions in the country, especially since, like you said, getting to the A67, A167 or generally anywhere to the East of Darlington, means you have to go through the place (or use one of the many rat runs) and can be a complete nightmare at times.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jabbaboy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 19:00
Tater656 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 18:16 I was just popping in to mention this. Piercebridge is tiny but then I guess where else would you sign as a destination for the B6275? Bishop Auckland is much better routed via the A68 and Barnard Castle the A66 (or I would argue a new junction with the A67 to serve the west end of Darlington as the A68 West Auckland Road is a nightmare with west end traffic coming from the north). "Staindrop (B6279)" perhaps but then that is still really quite small (though bigger than Piercebridge)
Yeah totally agreed, it must be up there with one of the most pointless motorway junctions in the country, especially since, like you said, getting to the A67, A167 or generally anywhere to the East of Darlington, means you have to go through the place (or use one of the many rat runs) and can be a complete nightmare at times.
Don't forget that it used to be the southern terminus of the A1(M) Durham section (even though it was in the North Riding when opened), so it was a vital junction for non-motorway traffic to leave and take an alternative route.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Tater656

Post by Tater656 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:16
jabbaboy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 19:00
Don't forget that it used to be the southern terminus of the A1(M) Durham section (even though it was in the North Riding when opened), so it was a vital junction for non-motorway traffic to leave and take an alternative route.
Since the motorway upgrade though, while yes you can't practically remove a full junction, the importance given to it (especially travelling north) is excessive. There is no need for the lane drop. I would argue the Leeming-Barton widening should've extended one junction further so the lane drop/gain would be for the A66(M) which makes a load more sense

BUT going a bit off topic there so to go back (but risk reaching into fantasy roads territory), if a junction at the A67 were added as I mentioned, would Piercebridge get another mention alongside Darlington and Barnard Castle at the junction? Also would it be removed from signs heading southbound at the B6275 as it would be so much easier to go via the A67? (And at risk of again going off topic would the junction numbers south of there be renumbered if it were hypothetically added in to make the gap at Scotch Corner smaller (ie: Scotch Corner (A66) J53, Barton (B6275) J55, Blackwell (A66(M)) J56 and Merrybent (A67) J57) or would they simply whack it in as J57A?)
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:16 Don't forget that it used to be the southern terminus of the A1(M) Durham section (even though it was in the North Riding when opened), so it was a vital junction for non-motorway traffic to leave and take an alternative route.
Yeah of course, but they chose to end it there. Could've always just extended it to Scotch Corner, which always seemed the more natural ending for the road anyway. I'm not sure when it was done but it was pretty much Motorway standard to the South of the junction anyway.
Tater656 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:45 Since the motorway upgrade though, while yes you can't practically remove a full junction, the importance given to it (especially travelling north) is excessive. There is no need for the lane drop. I would argue the Leeming-Barton widening should've extended one junction further so the lane drop/gain would be for the A66(M) which makes a load more sense

BUT going a bit off topic there so to go back (but risk reaching into fantasy roads territory), if a junction at the A67 were added as I mentioned, would Piercebridge get another mention alongside Darlington and Barnard Castle at the junction? Also would it be removed from signs heading southbound at the B6275 as it would be so much easier to go via the A67? (And at risk of again going off topic would the junction numbers south of there be renumbered if it were hypothetically added in to make the gap at Scotch Corner smaller (ie: Scotch Corner (A66) J53, Barton (B6275) J55, Blackwell (A66(M)) J56 and Merrybent (A67) J57) or would they simply whack it in as J57A?)
To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't do the opposite and just end it short at Scotch Corner. The road was already motorway standard anyway - see: https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4596103 ... ?entry=ttu.

Always seemed overkill, considering the lane drop at the next junction.

Btw, I'm unsure whether the A67 would be the best place for a junction. From experience, an A1(N) to A66(E) link would be more useful so you can get onto the A167, or to the South of Darlington without having to go through it. Most traffic heading to Barnard Castle will likely be on the A688 / A66 heading towards it. The junctions would be too close to do both.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

jabbaboy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 23:02
Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:16 Don't forget that it used to be the southern terminus of the A1(M) Durham section (even though it was in the North Riding when opened), so it was a vital junction for non-motorway traffic to leave and take an alternative route.
Yeah of course, but they chose to end it there. Could've always just extended it to Scotch Corner, which always seemed the more natural ending for the road anyway. I'm not sure when it was done but it was pretty much Motorway standard to the South of the junction anyway.
The original dualling from Barton to Scotch Corner and for some distance further south was 1950s or early 60s, with a flat roundabout with the A66, and a separate flat junction with the A6108 with a central reservation gap.

Then the A1(M) Darlington bypass was opened in 1965 including the creation of the GSJ that is now J56.

Then there was an improvement about 1971-2, in which the A1 mainline was diverted to the east (the bit that you call pretty much motorway standard) and the two flat junctions with the A66 and A6108 were combined into the GSJ with the elongated roundabout. The original dualled A1 became the dualled section of the A6108.

Tater656 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:45 Since the motorway upgrade though, while yes you can't practically remove a full junction, the importance given to it (especially travelling north) is excessive. There is no need for the lane drop. I would argue the Leeming-Barton widening should've extended one junction further so the lane drop/gain would be for the A66(M) which makes a load more sense
Very little traffic turns off at the A66(M), far more at the A66.

(At least that's how it always seems to me. When I've been on the A66(M) it has always seemed empty. But since writing the above I've checked the traffic figures on SABRE Maps and they seem pretty much equal.)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Steven wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 17:12 There are some hotels at Scotch Corner and a caravan park, so it will have a non-zero population at any given time, up to a maximum of not very much when the hotels and caravan park are full.
The nearest settlement is Middleton Tyas with a population of 581 and is about a mile away. I dont think there has been a meaningful permanent settlement there since the Romans left. The hotels were originally coaching inns as I recall, it was a long way from Catterick to Darlington for a stage coach and the old route was via Middleton Tyas, Croft and Piercebrige.
https://historicengland.org.uk/images-b ... /28537_034

There is a nice old sign here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4468742 ... &entry=ttu

In the list of Turnpike roads it is noted as being the junction of the Darlington to Middleton and Middleton-tyas Lane to Greta Bridge & Bowes turnpikes roads. There is no reference I could find to Scotch Corner other than the Three Tuns Hotel close to where the modern Scotch Corner Hotel now stands. As road traffic increased it was demolished in the 1930's and the current hotel built.

see
https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/ar ... /index.cfm

As it was in the Roman era Catterick known then as Cataractonium was one of the major garrisons in turn for the Brigantes, Romans, Saxons, Normans etc to this day.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Tater656 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 21:45 BUT going a bit off topic there so to go back (but risk reaching into fantasy roads territory), if a junction at the A67 were added as I mentioned, would Piercebridge get another mention alongside Darlington and Barnard Castle at the junction? Also would it be removed from signs heading southbound at the B6275 as it would be so much easier to go via the A67? (And at risk of again going off topic would the junction numbers south of there be renumbered if it were hypothetically added in to make the gap at Scotch Corner smaller (ie: Scotch Corner (A66) J53, Barton (B6275) J55, Blackwell (A66(M)) J56 and Merrybent (A67) J57) or would they simply whack it in as J57A?)
Very much so, the B6275 was on Dere Street and as is so often true its in the Wiki.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... itle=B6275

From the SABRE Wiki: B6275 :

Heading north through Yorkshire, the A1(M) meets Dere Street, the Roman road which connected the Eboracum (York) with the Antonine Wall in Caledonia in the area of Boroughbridge. It then follows the Roman road north past Scotch Corner as far as Barton Interchange (J56), where it heads off to the right towards Darlington. The B6275 is the northern

... Read More