Particular roundabout terminology

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skermington

Particular roundabout terminology

Post by Skermington »

Hi Hive Mind

Super quick question! Is there a term for the feature highlighted in blue on the map below?

rbt.png

I've thought about gore and diverge, but are those instances are if there are two lanes of the same direction being split, rather than the joining of two differing directions.

Hope you can help!

Cheers,
Skerm
Last edited by Skermington on Thu Feb 15, 2024 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Particular roundabout terminology

Post by Steven »

Island.

It's also a term used colloquially to mean "roundabout" in Staffordshire and Cheshire (and surrounding areas), so the term does need to be used carefully.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Island :

An island or traffic island is a raised area in the centre of a road, usually intended as either a place to allow pedestrians to more easily cross the road; or simply to divide traffic.

The term is also used colloquially in Staffordshire and Cheshire (as well as other parts of the English Midlands) to refer to a roundabout.

Perhaps the less common of the two main uses of Islands is as a refuge for pedestrians in the middle of a busy road or junction. They come in a

... Read More
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Steven wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:18 Island.

It's also a term used colloquially to mean "roundabout" in Staffordshire and Cheshire (and surrounding areas), so the term does need to be used carefully.
I would use the term "splitter island" to differentiate. (It was also "island" south of Birmingham)

From the SABRE Wiki: Island :

An island or traffic island is a raised area in the centre of a road, usually intended as either a place to allow pedestrians to more easily cross the road; or simply to divide traffic.

The term is also used colloquially in Staffordshire and Cheshire (as well as other parts of the English Midlands) to refer to a roundabout.

Perhaps the less common of the two main uses of Islands is as a refuge for pedestrians in the middle of a busy road or junction. They come in a

... Read More
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I always refer to these as splitter islands too as opposed to central island for the circular (normally) object you travel around on the main roundabout itself.

And as any fule no it's a Circus :laugh:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

As a native midlander, I've always been reluctant to use the word 'island' to describe it, because I'd use that term for the roundabout itself!

But splitter island is the best description for it, so thanks guys!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

A splitter island sounds like it features in Life of Brian and is busy falling out with other islands. :coat:
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Island for the whole intersection is used in Leicestershire as well, with "Pork Pie Island" being a particularly eyecatching example of the name.

Having grown up around Wolverhampton I didn't know that "island" was non-standard in this usage until I moved elsewhere. When I later moved to Leicestershire, "island" became normal again :D

I'm very unfamiliar with the North West in general, but I have at least heard of both Switch Island and Simister Island. Are these one-offs, or is "island" used in the same sense there as in the Midlands, or does it mean "gert big roundabout" with "roundabout" being used for normal ones?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

FosseWay wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 14:31 Island for the whole intersection is used in Leicestershire as well, with "Pork Pie Island" being a particularly eyecatching example of the name.

Having grown up around Wolverhampton I didn't know that "island" was non-standard in this usage until I moved elsewhere. When I later moved to Leicestershire, "island" became normal again :D

I'm very unfamiliar with the North West in general, but I have at least heard of both Switch Island and Simister Island. Are these one-offs, or is "island" used in the same sense there as in the Midlands, or does it mean "gert big roundabout" with "roundabout" being used for normal ones?
Tarbock, Haydock, Windle (no island these days), Mossborough, Golborne are other examples, some better known than others! Mossborough (A570 near Rainford) and Golborne (A580) are the smallest I can think of and I would say are definitely a roundabouts, the others generally fit your 'big roundabout' category.
Simon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I was brought up around Manchester (first Salford then Cheadle) and in general don't use "island" for roundabouts. I was a bit surprised to read above that it's used in Cheshire. but I have relatives from Walsall who always use it.

Edit: just to clarify, I use "splitter island" for the islands that are the subject of the thread.
Last edited by wrinkly on Wed Feb 14, 2024 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Splitter island.

But bollards in the middle of the road, which pedestrians can use to cross in two parts, I have always called a pedestrian refuge, not an island.

Island for a roundabout is surely a West Midlands colloquialism. Or more precisely "Oylond".
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

WHBM wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 20:23 Splitter island.

But bollards in the middle of the road, which pedestrians can use to cross in two parts, I have always called a pedestrian refuge, not an island.

Island for a roundabout is surely a West Midlands colloquialism. Or more precisely "Oylond".
Not just West Midlands, as said above. It's alive and kicking in the East Midlands and, apparently, Cheshire, too.

On pedestrian refuge vs island - is this a technical vs everyday thing? In other words, highways engineers, council planners, possibly the police and road safety organisations, will call them "refuges", while the ordinary punter on the street will call them "islands"?
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Splitter Island is the technical term, regardless of whether there are crossing facilities or not, when it's on a roundabout.
M19

Post by M19 »

Splitter island. They used to line up quite nicely to the edge of the roundabout island. Nowadays they point towards the roundabout island.

This means that the entry path isn’t straight it’s curved, often tightly and on multi lane roundabouts when drivers tend to prefer to pull out in a straight line, it’s not good for people turning right, having nowhere to go when the actual entry paths of the left lane driver overlaps into the path of the right lane driver.

This may also be a reason why you get the odd person driving the wrong way around a roundabout, something I witnessed last night when driving home from work. The approach angle being more towards the perpendicular must make some people think they can turn right only to end up going the wrong way around the roundabout.

The angle of the splitter matters, it should be able to slow traffic on the approach then point them on a correct and direct path onto the correct lane on the roundabout.
M19
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

In a road context, island has only ever meant the pedestrian refuge halfway across a road. I think it probably is a public/planner difference. I've always said footpath but the official name is footway for some reason.
Skermington

Post by Skermington »

Definitely referred to in Derbyshire as (central) refuges, again presumably because of the prominence of the word island to describe the roundabout.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 07:30..I've always said footpath but the official name is footway for some reason.
It was laid out in the Highways Act and it's about whether the route is exclusively for pedestrians remote from a carriageway (e.g. across field) = footpath or within the same highway curtilage with a carriageway near or adjacent = footway
HA 1980 definitions:
“footpath” means a highway over which the public have a right of way on foot only, not being a footway;
“footway” means a way comprised in a highway which also comprises a carriageway, being a way over which the public have a right of way on foot only;
“carriageway” means a way constituting or comprised in a highway, being a way (other than a cycle track) over which the public have a right of way for the passage of vehicles;
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 07:30 In a road context, island has only ever meant the pedestrian refuge halfway across a road. I think it probably is a public/planner difference. I've always said footpath but the official name is footway for some reason.
I've always known "island" and "roundabout" as interchangeable in common usage, with no noticeable regional variation
Lifelong motorhead
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 08:24
SteveA30 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 07:30 In a road context, island has only ever meant the pedestrian refuge halfway across a road. I think it probably is a public/planner difference. I've always said footpath but the official name is footway for some reason.
I've always known "island" and "roundabout" as interchangeable in common usage, with no noticeable regional variation
I have a friend in ‘umberside that would like to throw “circle” into the island/roundabout conversation.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

Big L wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 08:30 I have a friend in ‘umberside that would like to throw “circle” into the island/roundabout conversation.
Here in Dundee all roundabouts are referred to as circles.
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The Gaelic for Roundabout is Cearcail-Rathaid which I believe translates as circle road. Maybe Dundonians are half Gaelic? Not so sure about Humbderside though!
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.