B6395 Eyemouth

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

B6395 Eyemouth

Post by rileyrob »

On checking over details for the B6355 this morning, I discovered that the loop in Eyemouth was regularly shown as the B6395 (Eyemouth) by the OS between 1950 and 1970. I see that Steven has since found more supporting evidence of this (thanks).
This would appear to be the earliest definite use of the number, although largely concurrent with the equally uncertain Sheffield variant. However, it has just occurred to me that the B6395 number would have been out of zone if used in Eyemouth, so surely this is a longstanding misprint?

Does anyone have any other evidence either way?

Edit: Actually, the B6395 (Sheffield) seems to pre date the Eyemouth variant, as it is shown on the 1947 OS Six Inch map, with a rather curious route: https://maps.nls.uk/view/100949849
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: B6395 (Eyemouth) :

The possible B6395 formed a loop off the A1107 through Eyemouth town centre on the Berwickshire coast. It is repeatedly numbered as the B6395 on OS Large scale mapping from 1950-1970, as well as One Inch sheets between 1956 and 1965 showing the route as following Church Street, High Street and Northburn Road through the town centre. Confusingly, it is clearly numbered as B6355 at the 1:25k scale from 1954, which just happens to be the current number of the route.

This

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: B6395 Eyemouth

Post by Steven »

Should I add yet more confusion?

The revision of the 1:25k sheet that's on SABRE Maps (the B revision) clearly shows B6355 number instead. However, both the A and B/ revisions printed either side show B6395.

I'm heading towards the conclusion that the 1:25k Revision B is a typo that is purely co-incidentally the number it now has.

EDIT: All my relevant Landrangers on the other hand, consistently show B6355 where the number is displayed - from the First Series A revision onwards.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Steven wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 16:44 I'm heading towards the conclusion that the 1:25k Revision B is a typo that is purely co-incidentally the number it now has.
I'm erring the other way. Would they really have allocated an out of zone B6xxx number way back before 1950 to a route in Zone 1, especially as said number was also used in Sheffield? Evidence elsewhere suggests that they were far less lax about such things at that time. I'm reasonably confident that it is a mis-reading of someone's handwriting that got repeated, although the one 1:25k sheet that shows the B6355 is a mystery.
The rest of the B639x numbers were allocated prior to 1927, but the B6395 in Eyemouth is conspicuously missing on that revision of the MOT map.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

rileyrob wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 17:03 the one 1:25k sheet that shows the B6355 is a mystery.
I really need to go through the B/ revision and see what the revisions were, and whether it's just that road number that's been changed.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

vlad

Post by vlad »

Given that the road south of Eyemouth to Ayton (and beyond) is always numbered B6355 (at least when it's not the B6364), I'd hazard that the B6395 number is a misprint. The fact that it's remained throughout lots of different revisions just means in my opinion that that bit wasn't looked at in much detail: the road network hasn't really changed so presumably the cartographer has seen there's a Class II road and assumed all was well.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath