A55 construction / ‘Old Warren’ closed road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Borderlands

A55 construction / ‘Old Warren’ closed road

Post by Borderlands »

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone had any knowledge of the A55, particularly the bit between J35 and J36. I believe this section was opened in 1984, and was the ‘Hawarden Bypass’.

The A55 has created a ‘ghost road’ from the old road at “Old Warren” (link below) and I’m trying to find out what process would have resulted in the closure and conversion to a footpath.

It’s a fascinating piece of not-road which is still in very good condition because it’s been closed off.

Any info on this interesting remnant would be really appreciated! Thanks!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aijBAnpwZqmipsGs5?g_st=ic
KeithW

Re: A55 construction / ‘Old Warren’ closed road

Post by KeithW »

Borderlands wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 18:36 Hi Everyone,

I wonder if anyone had any knowledge of the A55, particularly the bit between J35 and J36. I believe this section was opened in 1984, and was the ‘Hawarden Bypass’.

The A55 has created a ‘ghost road’ from the old road at “Old Warren” (link below) and I’m trying to find out what process would have resulted in the closure and conversion to a footpath.

It’s a fascinating piece of not-road which is still in very good condition because it’s been closed off.

Any info on this interesting remnant would be really appreciated! Thanks!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/aijBAnpwZqmipsGs5?g_st=ic

See
viewtopic.php?t=25205&start=20
and
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... 55/History

From the SABRE Wiki: A55/History :

[Image:Bridge Street, Chester - Geograph - 602609.jpg|right|thumb|200px|The original start of the A55: Bridge Street from Chester Cross]]

The A55 roughly follows the route of the Roman Road from Chester to Conwy. The Roman Route then avoided the coast and went over the mountains to reach Caernarfon.

The original start point of the A55 was at The Cross in Chester, at the junctions of Bridge Street, Watergate Street (originally the A548), Eastgate Street and Northgate Street (both the

... Read More
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I can't go back to 1984 but I remember in 1987 travelling along the A55 westbound at the section which had recently bypassed Old Warren and hitting a queue approaching the Ewloe trumpet. The reason was because the A55 went from D2 to S2 at Northop. Before the A55 was fully dualled there were numerous queues approaching the single carriageway sections. In 1991 I distinctly remember the approaches to Rhuallt and Conwy were bottlenecks.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The procedure for authorising a major trunk road has changed since the 1980s in England, but remains much the same in Wales and Scotland. Draft orders are published, including an order to authorise the main line and slip roads, and a Side Roads Order to authorise consequent alterations to other rights of way, and a Compulsory Purchase Order to acquire the necessary land for the scheme. If objections are received within a set period and can't be resolved by negotiation, there is a public inquiry chaired by an inspector, who writes a report on the inquiry and submits it to the appropriate government minister, who makes the decision.

The Hawarden bypass will have had a Side Roads Order authorising, among others, changes to the status of the road at Old Warren.
Borderlands

Post by Borderlands »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 22:06

The procedure for authorising a major trunk road has changed since the 1980s in England, but remains much the same in Wales and Scotland. Draft orders are published, including an order to authorise the main line and slip roads, and a Side Roads Order to authorise consequent alterations to other rights of way, and a Compulsory Purchase Order to acquire the necessary land for the scheme. If objections are received within a set period and can't be resolved by negotiation, there is a public inquiry chaired by an inspector, who writes a report on the inquiry and submits it to the appropriate government minister, who makes the decision.

The Hawarden bypass will have had a Side Roads Order authorising, among others, changes to the status of the road at Old Warren.

Thanks- that’s really helpful. Do you know who would have created that order?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Borderlands wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 23:15 Thanks- that’s really helpful. Do you know who would have created that order?
The Secretary of State for Wales.

It should be possible to find notices in the London Gazette (historic text available online) announcing the publication of the order and the making of the order.
Borderlands

Post by Borderlands »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 23:33
Borderlands wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 23:15 Thanks- that’s really helpful. Do you know who would have created that order?
The Secretary of State for Wales.

It should be possible to find notices in the London Gazette (historic text available online) announcing the publication of the order and the making of the order.
Fab - thanks. Any help about when the order might have been published would be very welcome but I’ll get searching!
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Borderlands wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 15:42 Any help about when the order might have been published would be very welcome but I’ll get searching!
I have searched the Gazette and found 6 notices:

10 Feb 1977 p. 1880 - original draft orders published

30 Nov 78 p. 1438 - these orders made

It's not clear whether there was a public inquiry between the above dates. I have not found a notice of one.

12 Jan 79 pp. 1077-8 - Side Roads Order No. 2 made

There should be an earlier notice that this had been published in draft but I haven't found one.

12 Jul 79 pp. 8777-8 - Side Roads Order No. 3 and Side Roads (Variation) Order published

15 Nov 79 pp. 14326-7 - Inquiry to be held into the above two orders

26 Mar 80 p. 4661 - these orders made.