Roundabout Dropped Curb/ Parking Bay?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

toxictots

Roundabout Dropped Curb/ Parking Bay?

Post by toxictots »

I often see roundabouts with dropped curbs and little concrete squares set into the grass to allow vehicular access.

What is the purpose of this?

I assumed it was for access to manhole covers, but about 40% of roundabouts I see have this feature?
:D

Follow link for example image- https://ibb.co/g7SMLsh
Last edited by toxictots on Thu Jul 27, 2023 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Roundabout Parking Bay

Post by Chris5156 »

It’s for maintenance vehicles to park up. If your arriving in a van to cut the grass or repair a sign, it’s better to have a safe place to park your van off the road than have to park in the roadway and carry heavy equipment through running traffic.

If you see one at a signalised junction they’re usually placed next to the cabinet containing the controller, for obvious reasons.

In some cases - I don’t think your example is one but it may be - a cut through that goes right through the island and out the other side is for long vehicles to cross, if they wouldn’t make it around the outside. They tend to appear on the line of approved routes for long loads.
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Roundabout Dropped Curb/ Parking Bay?

Post by nowster »

If you see one by the side of a road, partially grassed over (Grasscrete™ or equivalent), it may be a bay for a speed camera van. Unlikely on a roundabout, though.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 20:52 It’s for maintenance vehicles to park up. If your arriving in a van to cut the grass or repair a sign, it’s better to have a safe place to park your van off the road than have to park in the roadway and carry heavy equipment through running traffic.
They are a relatively new thing - I’ve only seen them in the last ten years - and they reflect the difficulty created by brick-built chevrons for access to the middle, especially because of the banking required for the chevrons.

It wasn’t an issue with grass-only roundabouts because it’s much easier to get a lawnmower over a single kerb as you would from a van to a verge the other side of a flat footway than over the brick-built chevrons.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Some at the bottom of hills are also escape lanes - https://www.google.com/maps/@51.126084, ... ?entry=ttu
tom66

Post by tom66 »

I assumed this bay in Bradford (when I lived in Leeds and visited occasionally) was for a speed camera van
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7825649 ... ?entry=ttu

But seeing the traffic controller box nearby it might just be for maintenance, or serve a double purpose.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

The new roundabout at Magherabouy, A6 (NI), they seemed to move the 'parking bay' / straightline access for exceptional loads before it opened

GSV 2022 shows it to the north of the roundabout https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9175163 ... ?entry=ttu

GSV 2023 has it more facing east https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9175279 ... ?entry=ttu

Edit: Presumably this was to previously allow loads using the old A6, and now the new A6.
Last edited by wallmeerkat on Fri Jul 28, 2023 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

tom66 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28 I assumed this bay in Bradford (when I lived in Leeds and visited occasionally) was for a speed camera van

But seeing the traffic controller box nearby it might just be for maintenance, or serve a double purpose.
This was definitely being used by a camera van two Sundays back.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 20:52 It’s for maintenance vehicles to park up. If your arriving in a van to cut the grass or repair a sign, it’s better to have a safe place to park your van off the road than have to park in the roadway and carry heavy equipment through running traffic.

If you see one at a signalised junction they’re usually placed next to the cabinet containing the controller, for obvious reasons.

In some cases - I don’t think your example is one but it may be - a cut through that goes right through the island and out the other side is for long vehicles to cross, if they wouldn’t make it around the outside. They tend to appear on the line of approved routes for long loads.
Yep. All part of CDM and the requirement to design for maintenance.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 20:52It’s for maintenance vehicles to park up. If your arriving in a van to cut the grass or repair a sign, it’s better to have a safe place to park your van off the road than have to park in the roadway and carry heavy equipment through running traffic.

Black Cat Roundabout had one built in. The original roundabout was left alone, but a new piece was added to it, providing a cut-through.

From the SABRE Wiki: Black Cat Roundabout :

The Black Cat Roundabout is a major junction on the A1 in Bedfordshire, where it meets the A421 from Milton Keynes and Bedford, which along with the A428 and A14, forms part of an west - east route from the M1 to East Anglia. Consequently, it is a notorious congestion hotspot.

It takes its name from the garage and car repair workshop which opened in the 1920s at the junction called the Black Cat Garage. In later years the garage was converted to a

... Read More
Berk

Post by Berk »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:18 Some at the bottom of hills are also escape lanes - https://www.google.com/maps/@51.126084, ... ?entry=ttu
I appreciate the idea, but think it must be rubbish in practice. Will the weight of the vehicle actually stop you on the bed of the roundabout, or would you continue whizzing off into traffic??
Owain wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 16:57
tom66 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28I assumed this bay in Bradford (when I lived in Leeds and visited occasionally) was for a speed camera van

This was definitely being used by a camera van two Sundays back.
I always find it ironic that to impose enforcement for safety purposes, police usually have nowhere to park except somewhere unsafe. There’s very little protection from errant vehicles there.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Berk wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 18:22
wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:18 Some at the bottom of hills are also escape lanes - https://www.google.com/maps/@51.126084, ... ?entry=ttu
I appreciate the idea, but think it must be rubbish in practice. Will the weight of the vehicle actually stop you on the bed of the roundabout, or would you continue whizzing off into traffic??
It's supposed to not take the weight, the vehicle sinks into the surface and loses its motion.

In 2016 the Blue Bank escape lane was washed out by floods. Some people attempted to drive through the washed-out retardant and found how effective it was. link :)
Berk

Post by Berk »

Looks like they needed a JCB… :driving:
toxictots

Post by toxictots »

On a similar note, does anybody have any idea of what the purpose of this (https://ibb.co/J3nprz6) might be?
It doesn't look wide enough for a vehicle to park up in?

All I can think is that it's a foot space for volunteers/council to do gardening work at waist height rather than bend down ?

Located outside Bromstone Primary School, Broadstairs.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

That’s weird. There’s a manhole cover in the middle, which suggests there’s something underneath that needs to be accessed occasionally.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 16:41 That’s weird. There’s a manhole cover in the middle, which suggests there’s something underneath that needs to be accessed occasionally.
It clearly pre-dates the roundabout. The majority of roundabouts on older roads have services that go straight across them - sewers, telephone ducts, electricity ducts etc. Creating access to them like that is the cheapest option.