M54 Extension and M6 Toll/M42 Jct Improvements announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: M54 Extension and M6 Toll/M42 Jct Improvements announced

Post by Berk »

Peter Freeman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 01:01
Ishtaria1980 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 00:42 A lot of the major improvements to the West Midlands routes that could have been done are just too difficult or outright impossible now.
Nothing's impossible. Build the Western Orbital. It doesn't need to be a super-duper fully-free-flow D6M.
I was reading the thread about whether the M6 and M6 Toll should be(/have tolling) swapped. The elephant in the room seemed to be the M5 section - because it would appear to be unfair to charge people using the M6 from the north to access it. I take the point about most people in WM using the central section because their journeys start/finish there. But you have to do something to replace the toll income.

Would charging some classes of vehicles on each route better spread out the traffic?? E.g. HGV’s and coaches on the M6, and everything else (but not HGV’s & coaches) on the M6 Toll?? Or would it not make a blind bit of difference??

Or would it be easier to charge people using the central M6 if there was some sort of Western Orbital-style free route (expressway/not necessarily motorway) to link M6 J11/M54 and M5 J4?? Even if the charge was much lower than the M6 Toll?? £2/£3 each way, like the Toll route was when it first opened. If you took this option, you’d probably have to toll both M6 and M6 Toll, so there wasn’t a huge push to switch to the other one.

FWIW, I’m agnostic whether any of the schemes would work effectively, but you want to get to a situation where traffic is better distributed across all routes.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Berk wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 23:20 Would charging some classes of vehicles on each route better spread out the traffic?? E.g. HGV’s and coaches on the M6, and everything else (but not HGV’s & coaches) on the M6 Toll?? Or would it not make a blind bit of difference??
It would make a difference, but it's (a) too complicated and (b) an impossible sell to the motoring public, especially locals.
FWIW, I’m agnostic whether any of the schemes would work effectively, but you want to get to a situation where traffic is better distributed across all routes.
The glaring anomaly of the better route being the least used one will resolve itself when the toll franchise expires. How long left to go now?

The glaring anomaly that will not resolve itself is that, from a satellite view of the Birmingham conurbation, the western piece of an essential orbital route is missing. Ask M60 users or M25 users whether they'd like 30% of their orbitals to be returned to nature.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 01:18 The glaring anomaly that will not resolve itself is that, from a satellite view of the Birmingham conurbation, the western piece of an essential orbital route is missing. Ask M60 users or M25 users whether they'd like 30% of their orbitals to be returned to nature.
Ahem, it's the West Midlands conurbation for a good reason! It's VERY multicentred, so London and Manchester-Salford aren't good comparisons. It's functionally and culturally two large cities that happen to both touch an extremely multi-centred medium-sized conurbation in the middle.

In addition, the various sections of motorway that might look like an orbital aren't designed to be an orbital for precisely that reason - the Western Orbital for example, is designed to improve connectivity to the western side of Wolverhampton and the Black Country; and to support long distance SW-NW traffic; and not for orbital traffic from, say, M6 Toll.

The other big elephant is that the all-purpose network is designed to access the M5 and M6 - as I'm fond of saying, look at the A454 either side of Wolverhampton city centre - partially grade separated and high capacity to the east; narrow S2 to the west. Discouraging traffic from the M6 in favour of a Western Orbital would instantly swamp all of these routes.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Western Orbital :

The Western Orbital (or formally A Western Orbital Route for the West Midlands Conurbation) was a proposed motorway that would have passed to the west of Wolverhampton and the Black Country.

Whilst a high-quality route around the western side of Wolverhampton had been proposed since the 1920s, the Western Orbital route crystallised in the early 1970s as a specific proposal to bypass both the A449 and the only very recently completed sections of M6 and M5 that ran

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 01:18The glaring anomaly of the better route being the least used one will resolve itself when the toll franchise expires. How long left to go now?
The concession expires in 2056, so 33 years to go. But there’s no guarantee it will become a free route operated at public expense at that point; it could just be re-let to a new concessionaire, or the existing one allowed to continue with a new contract.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

^ Oooooh! That's a long time. Most of AU's toll roads are 'BOOT', so all rights revert to the state on franchise expiry. I assume M6Toll's the same ...? So most likely toll-free then?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Steven wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 07:54
Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 01:18 The glaring anomaly that will not resolve itself is that, from a satellite view of the Birmingham conurbation, the western piece of an essential orbital route is missing. Ask M60 users or M25 users whether they'd like 30% of their orbitals to be returned to nature.
Ahem, it's the West Midlands conurbation for a good reason! It's VERY multicentred, so London and Manchester-Salford aren't good comparisons. It's functionally and culturally two large cities that happen to both touch an extremely multi-centred medium-sized conurbation in the middle.

In addition, the various sections of motorway that might look like an orbital aren't designed to be an orbital for precisely that reason - the Western Orbital for example, is designed to improve connectivity to the western side of Wolverhampton and the Black Country; and to support long distance SW-NW traffic; and not for orbital traffic from, say, M6 Toll.

The other big elephant is that the all-purpose network is designed to access the M5 and M6 - as I'm fond of saying, look at the A454 either side of Wolverhampton city centre - partially grade separated and high capacity to the east; narrow S2 to the west. Discouraging traffic from the M6 in favour of a Western Orbital would instantly swamp all of these routes.
Yes, the WO is basically a bypass for the A449, it's not intended to relieve the M5/M6. The only way such a corridor would happen now is if there was to be massive development on the west side of Wolverhampton down to Kidderminster - which given the well-to-do nature of the rural areas this would affect means zilch chance of it happening. It is interesting that the 1923 Northern & Western Motorway followed a general line of what we'd now call the Western Orbital isn't it?

The fundamental mistake was when the decision was taken to bring the M6 right into the heart of Birmingham that D4M was not provided. The rural lakeland sections have D3M, so the notion that a section running through what was then one of the biggest industrial centres of the UK needed the same was insanity.

In a parallel universe the M6 would always have bypassed the urban area, having started on the Western Avenue in London. The current M40/M42/M6T line makes far more sense for the M6 than having it just slam into the M1.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck

From the SABRE Wiki: Western Orbital :

The Western Orbital (or formally A Western Orbital Route for the West Midlands Conurbation) was a proposed motorway that would have passed to the west of Wolverhampton and the Black Country.

Whilst a high-quality route around the western side of Wolverhampton had been proposed since the 1920s, the Western Orbital route crystallised in the early 1970s as a specific proposal to bypass both the A449 and the only very recently completed sections of M6 and M5 that ran

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:02^ Oooooh! That's a long time. Most of AU's toll roads are 'BOOT', so all rights revert to the state on franchise expiry. I assume M6Toll's the same ...? So most likely toll-free then?
Without finding and reading the contract, I’ve no idea - I’d assume it would simply revert to the state (or National Highways or whoever), but what the state would then choose to do with it is anyone’s guess. I wouldn’t like to predict what the transport landscape will look like in 30+ years’ time or what a government at that point might think is right.

Past precedent is very mixed. Recently the Severn Bridges franchise ended and ownership reverted to National Highways; the government directed them to abolish the tolls and take over maintenance directly. But in 2003 that the Dartford Crossing PFI ended because the cost of building the various crossings had all been paid off; there the tolls were retained as a “congestion charge”.

In short, I would not assume the M6 Toll will revert to public ownership and become free to use until I actually see it happen. Tolled roads are rare enough in the UK that each one is essentially a special case.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Steven wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 07:54
I won't dispute any of your points about the nature of the conurbation, nor its name.
In addition, the various sections of motorway that might look like an orbital aren't designed to be an orbital ...
Whether designed to be or not, M6Toll and M42 certainly do look like (two-thirds of) an orbital. A third piece would make whole one. Just as, in its later construction period, the M25 had its final piece fitted to formally turn it into an orbital.

A completed Birmingham Orbital would be similar in size to London's. Like most large orbitals, few users would 'orbit' Birmingham's, just as most journeys use only small proportions of M25 or M60. But each of the three orbital components do, or would, relieve stressed parts of M6 and M5. (M6Toll doesn't quite achieve it yet, owing to the toll, to revert to the original point).
"Swamp" - an exaggeration I think. The A454 is a nice road, as are its closely associated A463 and A4148. I'm sure it would continue to serve most of its functions after an orbital completion, even though that might, as I think you suggest, encourage Wolverhampton access to be from the west. However, such considerations should not stand in the way of an orbital. A new traffic equilibrium would soon be established.

BTW, considering that a certain route has long existed (as detailed in the wiki), perhaps I should have said "Build A Western Orbital" rather than "Build THE Westerrn Orbital". Many things change during detailed design.

From the SABRE Wiki: A454 :

The A454 is a road of contrasts, from a pleasant countryside drive, to poor-quality inner-city single carriageway, to almost urban motorway standards. It is one of the major routes across southern Staffordshire and passes through both Wolverhampton city centre and Walsall town centre, as well as forming one of the accesses to the M6 from both settlements.

The A454

... Read More