Italian Motorways

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mikewhitcombe

Italian Motorways

Post by mikewhitcombe »

Hello everyone,

As a regular "guest" visitor to the site, me and my geeky interest in roads has tempted me to embark on a project to fill up the "Italian Autostrade" section of the Wiki... (As I live in Italy).

I hope it's appropriate and of interest to everyone - any help is of course appreciated!

Of course there is also the exciting prospect of the first section of the A36 "Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda" opening before the end of the year - I hope to get some interesting pictures soon - the junctions are completed and the signs already in place...
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Italian Motorways

Post by Owain »

mikewhitcombe wrote:I hope it's appropriate and of interest to everyone - any help is of course appreciated!

Of course there is also the exciting prospect of the first section of the A36 "Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda" opening....
Buonasera, Mike!

It is definitely appropriate and of very high interest. I am a massive fan of Italian autostrade (see my A35 thread). I will keep my eyes open for your pics.

Currently planning my fifth drive to Sardegna for Xmas/Capo d'anno....
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

OK, that's grand! I'll try and get some more information relevant to you up in the meantime, then :)

The first step is complete: read all about the A1 here:

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... A1_(Italy)

:)

From the SABRE Wiki: A1 %28Italy%29 :

The Autostrada A1 Milano-Napoli, also known as the Autostrada del Sole (Motorway of the Sun) is the longest Autostrada (Motorway) in Italy. It is the main north-south route connecting Milan to Naples, passing Bologna, Florence and Rome. It is entirely managed by Autostrade per l'Italia. The road was opened by Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro in 1964.

The Motorway of the Sun was a major post-War project for the Italian Government in the

... Read More
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

What is the Italian motorway that uses an old alignment as access to a service station?
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

Trebeck wrote:What is the Italian motorway that uses an old alignment as access to a service station?
Sounds like it might be the Area di Servizio Assago Ovest on the A50 Milan Western Ring Road...

https://maps.google.it/maps?ll=45.40110 ... 2&t=m&z=17
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

mikewhitcombe wrote:
Trebeck wrote:What is the Italian motorway that uses an old alignment as access to a service station?
Sounds like it might be the Area di Servizio Assago Ovest on the A50 Milan Western Ring Road...

https://maps.google.it/maps?ll=45.40110 ... 2&t=m&z=17
Doesn't seem to be, the one I'm thinking of is almost perpendicular to the new mainline, with a U shape of the old alignment carraigeways.
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

I stayed with my wife at the Holiday Inn in the Area di Servizio Assago Ovest for 6 nights in 2003. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law live nearby in Buccinasco/Assago.

In one of my poorest navigational shows, I somehow got it into my head from the map I had, that the overbridge there was a one way exit from the hotel/service station and I spent the whole time daily navigating back to Junction 6 of the Tangenziale rather than using the nearest route via the A7 and its deformed cloverleaf junction with the ring road. It was only when I was filling up at the service station to leave for the UK that I realised my error.

I blame my sister-in-law though as she is local and didn't tell me I was stupid when asking to follow her via the complicated route. I also didn't have access to the detailed online maping and satellite images now available.
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

multiraider2 wrote:I stayed with my wife at the Holiday Inn in the Area di Servizio Assago Ovest for 6 nights in 2003. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law live nearby in Buccinasco/Assago.

In one of my poorest navigational shows, I somehow got it into my head from the map I had, that the overbridge there was a one way exit from the hotel/service station and I spent the whole time daily navigating back to Junction 6 of the Tangenziale rather than using the nearest route via the A7 and its deformed cloverleaf junction with the ring road. It was only when I was filling up at the service station to leave for the UK that I realised my error.

I blame my sister-in-law though as she is local and didn't tell me I was stupid when asking to follow her via the complicated route. I also didn't have access to the detailed online maping and satellite images now available.
:lol:

To be fair, it is a rather poorly-designed service area - especially as you have to go to the far end, chuck a U-Turn around the car park, and double back over the entrance road to access the car park. In theory. As the usual Italian attitude is "There is a rule, but it puts me out too much, so I am going to ignore it" most people make a sharp right turn and jump the queue...
Trebeck

Post by Trebeck »

mikewhitcombe wrote:That'll be this one then...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... =7&t=32471
The very one!

A good example of restricting waste, why build another when the services is already there!
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

OK - the A3 is almost done.

Would folks prefer the junctions listed as a fancy "Wikipedia-style" table in the main article or as a part of the sidebar as I did for the A1?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

mikewhitcombe wrote:OK - the A3 is almost done.

Would folks prefer the junctions listed as a fancy "Wikipedia-style" table in the main article or as a part of the sidebar as I did for the A1?
I've just looked at your A1 page and it is excellent, Mike.

If I were you, I'd stick with the same format for all of them. The A1 page looks perfect to me :D

[Getting excited about my impending winter drive to Sardinia!]

Viva la Repubblica!
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

Owain wrote:
mikewhitcombe wrote:OK - the A3 is almost done.

I've just looked at your A1 page and it is excellent, Mike.

If I were you, I'd stick with the same format for all of them. The A1 page looks perfect to me :D

[Getting excited about my impending winter drive to Sardinia!]
Thanks, Owain!

The alternative is the layoutI've just completed for the A4 - which is a (major) re-hash of what is on Wikipedia... http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... A4_(Italy) - which I think I prefer, actually...

From the SABRE Wiki: A4 %28Italy%29 :

The Autostrada A4 is a major Italian motorway in the north of the country in an East-West direction, linking the cities of Turin, Milan, Brescia, Venice and Trieste.

Along the route there are various intersections with other arterial routes and city ring-roads. Between Turin and Venice the road is mainly 3 lanes + hard shoulder in both directions (except over some bridges and viaducts), with a bi-directional 4-lane sector between Milan and Bergamo. The final section from Venice to

... Read More
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

I hate those "Route detail" things on Wikipedia - they consume huge amounts of real estate showing you what a map already does, only as text. If you want to see where a road goes - use a map! (See that menu entry between "Wiki" and "Society" :D ). A CBRD-esque strip map on the side away from the prose is the way to go.

(PS: Here is some background reading)
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

Ritchie333 wrote:I hate those "Route detail" things on Wikipedia - they consume huge amounts of real estate showing you what a map already does, only as text. If you want to see where a road goes - use a map! (See that menu entry between "Wiki" and "Society" :D ). A CBRD-esque strip map on the side away from the prose is the way to go.

(PS: Here is some background reading)
Oh, all right :(

I would say however that the "Junction List" code in the Routebox does look messy when the Junctions are the names of the places they serve rather than numbers... As Italian junctions aren't generally numbered (except for Ring Roads) it doesn't look all that good, in my opinion. Perhaps we could come up with a good compromise solution?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I hadn't seen the A4 page. I like it. Whichever you choose, Mike, I think it would make sense to present them all the same.

Viva la Repubblica!
si404

Post by si404 »

I don't like the wikipedia-esque layout - it looks like we're copying them.
mikewhitcombe wrote:I would say however that the "Junction List" code in the Routebox does look messy when the Junctions are the names of the places they serve rather than numbers...
No they don't - see A1/Peterborough - Blyth.

The A1 (Italy) idea of saying where they serve looks wrong, but not because the junctions have names. Keep to a northbound/southbound list of roads in those second and third columns.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson

From the SABRE Wiki: A1/Peterborough - Blyth :

Starting to the west of Peterborough, where the A1(M), meets the A605, the A1139 and of course, the continuation of the A1, the quality of the route drops considerably from that of the previous several miles of 1990's motorway. Following the alignment of Ermine Street, almost

... Read More