Great North Road book updates

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lonewolf

Great North Road book updates

Post by Lonewolf »

I still get occasional information on the GNR sent to me. I don't have enough to do a second book or even an update, so I made a Facebook page to share the info.

https://www.facebook.com/gtnorthroad if anyone's interested
Wolfie

FB me!
KeithW

Re: Great North Road book updates

Post by KeithW »

Lonewolf wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 06:59 I still get occasional information on the GNR sent to me. I don't have enough to do a second book or even an update, so I made a Facebook page to share the info.

https://www.facebook.com/gtnorthroad if anyone's interested

Excellent , this is a road I have been using regularly since 1979 but there is always something new to learn.
autismuk

Post by autismuk »

It's indicative of how my family views me that despite having bought the book myself (which is excellent), three people have bought me a copy of it :)
DeptForLameExcuses

Post by DeptForLameExcuses »

Steve Silk, journalist on BBC Look East, cycled from London to Edinburgh in 11 days, and wrote a well-researched book in July 2021.

If you've bought one, then you'll buy the other? The book
Give your heart and life gives you a receipt.
Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this question, but I'll go ahead anyway !

I am trying to research the route the Great North Road took through Newcastle prior to the 1928 opening of the Tyne Bridge.
Did it go over Stephenson's 1849 High Level bridge ? Or the later 1876 swing bridge ?
Which bridge did it use before that ? ! ?
Thanks
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

I looked at this in detail some years back. Although it's difficult to work out, I figured some things out by looking at the relevant MOT map, routes such as A1057 (Newcastle upon Tyne), and a knowledge that roads did not go out of zone at all originally. That leaves me to conclude that at classification, the A1 went along the High Level Bridge, past the castle and cathedral, and along Newgate Street and Percy Street.

This doesn't imply it was the original Great North Road, but the MOT was quite keen to put major single digit roads on historic postal / coaching routes, and as this path connects the cathedral, castle and station, it makes perfect sense that's where the traffic would go. It also might explain why they didn't pay attention to the 1876 upgrade to the Swing Bridge. That originally carried the A184.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....

From the SABRE Wiki: A1057 (Newcastle upon Tyne) :

The A1057 is described in the original 1922 road numbering as Newcastle (Pilgrim Street (part), Northumberland Street).

The road started on the A695 Mosley Street and headed north along Pilgrim Street. After crossing the A696 Blackett Street the road name changed to Northumberland Street.

... Read More