Emergency crossing points on motorway carriageways

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

qwertyK

Emergency crossing points on motorway carriageways

Post by qwertyK »

When did they exist between, and when were they removed? As in the area in the central reservation where I believe emergency vehicles could try and do u-turns
wrinkly

Re: Emergency crossing points on motorway carriageways

Post by wrinkly »

In the early days of motorways there were two emergency central reservation gaps at a typical junction, one at each end of the junction, where the slip roads join and leave. Also sometimes others where there was a long stretch between junctions. If I remember correctly they at first continued to exist when central barriers were added to most motorways from about 1969 onwards. There's a previous thread somewhere.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

They existed from day 1, when central barriers were introduced they remained but were coned off or blocked by cylinders.

The fatal collision on the M4 spelled the end of them but I seem to recall more rural quieter motorways still having the cylinders well into the late 1990s. Parts of the northern end of the M6 possibly even later?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Doing a u turn sounds extremely dangerous on a motorway I'm guessing though when they were first introduced motorways were a lot quieter. Imagine doing a u turn on the M25

Were the central reservations significantly wider to enable this?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

qwertyK wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 18:05 Doing a u turn sounds extremely dangerous on a motorway I'm guessing though when they were first introduced motorways were a lot quieter. Imagine doing a u turn on the M25

As I recall they were replaced with sections of barrier that could be removed to turn traffic around, of course in the early days there were no central barriers.

There were also contraflows where all that acted as separation were plastic cones.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

They weren't used only for U-turns but also for one-lane contraflows for roadworks. Later, longer gaps were used for contraflows with longer crossovers, and for 2-lane contraflows.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

qwertyK wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 18:05Were the central reservations significantly wider to enable this?
No, they were the same central reservations we have now, they just had gaps in them. You can still see the crossovers in some places, but the barrier is continuous across them now.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

qwertyK wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 18:05 Doing a u turn sounds extremely dangerous on a motorway I'm guessing though when they were first introduced motorways were a lot quieter. Imagine doing a u turn on the M25

U-turns have always been prohibited on motorways, these gaps existed purely for emergency vehicle or roadworks use.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

I can remember some of the gaps were coned off until the late 1990s. I can remember one clip from Police Camera Action where someone attempted a U turn by removing the cones.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
solocle

Post by solocle »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 17:23 They existed from day 1, when central barriers were introduced they remained but were coned off or blocked by cylinders.

The fatal collision on the M4 spelled the end of them but I seem to recall more rural quieter motorways still having the cylinders well into the late 1990s. Parts of the northern end of the M6 possibly even later?
The split section north of Tebay has one to this day.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 14:21 I can remember some of the gaps were coned off until the late 1990s. I can remember one clip from Police Camera Action where someone attempted a U turn by removing the cones.
So presumably an emergency vehicle would have half of it in the carriageway whilst removing the cones or doing the turn?
jnty

Post by jnty »

solocle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 14:38
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 17:23 They existed from day 1, when central barriers were introduced they remained but were coned off or blocked by cylinders.

I always wonder about the legality (as opposed to practicality!) of using it. I noticed that Google Maps had directed me on to it once when I accidentally attempted to navigate to the wrong side of Tebay Services.
solocle

Post by solocle »

jnty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 19:24
solocle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 14:38

I always wonder about the legality (as opposed to practicality!) of using it. I noticed that Google Maps had directed me on to it once when I accidentally attempted to navigate to the wrong side of Tebay Services.
I can't actually think of anything that would make it outright illegal to use, I guess an argument could be made if anything about the "vehicles to be driven on the carriageway only" part of the MT(E&W)R as there's a solid line denoting the edge of the carriageway.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

jnty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 19:24 I always wonder about the legality (as opposed to practicality!) of using it.
No U-turns on Motorways (however you do it) is a strict liability offence. It used to be one of the conditions stated in the early days when the restrictions were spelled out in text at the entrance, on the predecessor to the Chopsticks sign.

Back in the 1980s, many of the emergency crossings were substantially rebuilt and lengthened to suit higher crossover speeds and more protective guard rail between opposing directions in contraflows. Then there was a further change of policy, and contraflows dropped out of favour.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

This was hashed out in 2007
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14197 wrote: by M60-Tony » Mon Jan 22, 2007 20:44

You're correct Glenn. There were 3 small reflective markers on the central barrier posts counting down to the cross-over. I recall seeing them and being told what they were at a talk given by motorway police in the very late 80s or early 90s.

With the closing of all (?) such crossing points I haven't seen such markers for many a year. Though I could envisage some possibly surviving in odd remote bits of motorway.

Edit:
Found this 2006 ACPO document link. In it it says

2.6 MOTORWAY EMERGENCY CROSSING POINT
An emergency crossing point is a gap in the central reservation barrier. Very few of these remain on the motorway network, however, because of the significant risks associated with using them.

Emergency crossing points should only be used by the emergency services and HATOs, and only in extreme circumstances.

The onus for carrying out such a manoeuvre safely is always on the driver, and all necessary care must be taken.

It may be considered inappropriate to use crossing points during normal traffic flows. A short cut may be used instead. A short cut is a link road provided to reduce the distance travelled by emergency services attending incidents. Short cuts can provide easy access to the opposite carriageways on certain sections of the motorway between junctions.

So there are some around still, even HATOs may choose to use them.
What I found interesting is has been said there is no signed prohibition. At that point one the M6 the northbound and southbound carriage ways are widely separated with an unclassified road running under the M6 and then running between the Northbound and Southbound carriageways.

The signs have seen better days. They look to be the same ones that were there in 1969 when the M6 was under construction.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.4614834 ... &entry=ttu

Follow it and it ends on T junction which the B6261 which then joins the A6 about 1.5 miles from Shap. The B6261 was there long before the M6 and has the distinction of being primary.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... itle=B6261

From the SABRE Wiki: B6261 :

The B6261 is a rural B-road in central Westmorland, famous for being in part a primary B-road and also for including a stretch which runs between the two carriageways of a motorway. The route starts to the south of Shap, at an eastbound turn off the A6. Road signs and mapping here both suggest that the B6261 from here to J39 of the M6 is actually a [[Primary

... Read More