|Location Map ( geo)|
|B905 • A8004|
Dunipace Bridge is nowhere near Dunipace. Indeed, it is a bit of a mystery why it is called Dunipace Bridge, as it sits at the opposite end of the parish to the town. Until recently, the road across the bridge was unequivocally the B905, however in recent years some maps have suggested that the westbound off-slip from the M876 is a part of the A8004, which would mean that that road crosses Dunipace Bridge. This change does seem to have been reverted once more.
Immediately to the north of the bridge, the B905 swings sharp right at a T junction, heading for Falkirk, with a left turn leading from the M876, and also to the unclassified road through Denovan to Dunipace. To the south of the bridge is the Checkbar Roundabout, where the A883, A8004 and B905 all meet, with each providing indirect access to the M876 flying overhead nearby.
The bridge itself is not new. It dates back to 1825 and consists of three stone arches, the wider central one basically spanning a gravel island in the river. The bridge is faced in dressed stone, with details to the arch rings, pronounced pilasters on the piers, a cornice line at road level and other small detailing. A date plaque sits in the eastern parapet, but is badly weathered and almost illegible. It mentions that the mason was from Lesmahagow and the contractor more local from Stirling.
The road carried by the bridge is quite a narrow S2 with narrow pavements, and frequently has queueing traffic from the motorway, as well as lorries from the quarry a little way up the side road to Denovan.