Needlessly long road numbers

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: Needlessly long road numbers

Post by Bryn666 »

RichardA626 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:39
Bryn666 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:04
Was92now625 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 19:30

I remember once (probably in the 90s), describing the route (from going north/eastbound on M56 to north/west-bound on M63 - now M60) and having to point out "don't be thrown by the 4-digit number".
The A5103 of course was originally just a local road that happened to have the M56 plug into it later. I've argued in the past that the A56 should've been rerouted down Princess Road (the old A56 west of Bowdon being renumbered as it serves no point) with the A556 being extended through to central Manchester. The A56 could then reappear at the west end of the M56 and take over that end of the A494 down to the A55 and voila, a single number for the approach to North Wales.
Yes that would be a better use for the number, it's possible to see on Princess Road where it was widened to be a dual carriageway by pulling down a row of houses.
Yep, the Moss Side gap wasn't plugged until the early 90s - it also retained a 30 limit when it was 40 either side. It's all 30 now of course, which is a joke when Wilbraham Road is still 40 despite being an objectively worse road, but MCC always reactively do road schemes and never see the bigger picture.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

The A299 is a needlessly long road number for part of the strategic route between North Kent and London. In my opinion, a better road number for the route would be the A29, a needlessly short road number for a strategically insignificant road superseded by the A24, A23 and M23 further to the east.
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!

From the SABRE Wiki: A299 :

The A299 is one of the major roads in north Kent. It takes up the M2's baton just to the east of Faversham, and is now dual carriageway with graded junctions throughout virtually its entire length. Although a primary route, it's never been a trunk road as far as can be determined, which is surprising since it does for Margate and Ramsgate what the A127 does for Southend.

It's a fast road nowadays. Starting from M2 J7, the road

... Read More
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

AnOrdinarySABREUser wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 15:01 The A299 is a needlessly long road number for part of the strategic route between North Kent and London. In my opinion, a better road number for the route would be the A29, a needlessly short road number for a strategically insignificant road superseded by the A24, A23 and M23 further to the east.
The distinction between this sort of situation and my line of thought is that your situation has to exist in some from. The two numbers could be swapped and it might be a better fit, but the three-digit number can't be disposed of.

My main interest is the four-digit numbers that could be subsumed into a two or three-digit route.

From the SABRE Wiki: A299 :

The A299 is one of the major roads in north Kent. It takes up the M2's baton just to the east of Faversham, and is now dual carriageway with graded junctions throughout virtually its entire length. Although a primary route, it's never been a trunk road as far as can be determined, which is surprising since it does for Margate and Ramsgate what the A127 does for Southend.

It's a fast road nowadays. Starting from M2 J7, the road

... Read More
AnOrdinarySABREUser

Post by AnOrdinarySABREUser »

Patrick Harper wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 15:12 The distinction between this sort of situation and my line of thought is that your situation has to exist in some from. The two numbers could be swapped and it might be a better fit, but the three-digit number can't be disposed of.

My main interest is the four-digit numbers that could be subsumed into a two or three-digit route.
I understand. In this case, I'd nominate the A3075 to be replaced by the A392 as they proceed in the same general direction and form a link between Newquay and the A30. The rest of the A392 heading into Newquay would be reclassified as an extension of the A3058. The new A392 would be classified as a primary route rather than a non-primary route for continuity.
AOSU
Mapping roads and schemes on OpenStreetMap!

From the SABRE Wiki: A3075 :

The A3075 is the main road from Newquay to Chiverton Cross (and thus via the A30 to southwest Cornwall).

The road begins at the Trevemper Roundabout in Newquay where the primary route A392 turns right along the river Gannel to head to Newquay. It's mainly fast (except during the summer) and rural out here and after a couple of minor junctions, mostly with small hamlets and holiday parks, the road reaches Rejarrah Hill, a long, straight, gentle hill down with a

... Read More
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

My nomination for a needlessly long number is M876.

It replaces the A876, which means - by Scottish motorway numbering rules - M876 is correct. But when it was created, part of the old A876 was renumbered and became A88, a shorter and more important-sounding number and a ridiculous choice for a downgrade. That means there’s really no reason why the M876, which now parallels the A88, couldn’t be M88.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 21:39 My nomination for a needlessly long number is M876.

It replaces the A876, which means - by Scottish motorway numbering rules - M876 is correct. But when it was created, part of the old A876 was renumbered and became A88, a shorter and more important-sounding number and a ridiculous choice for a downgrade. That means there’s really no reason why the M876, which now parallels the A88, couldn’t be M88.
It's worse than that, even, as both the A88 and A876 are entirely in zone 9, which probably means that the M876 should be neither. The A876 did, of course, once run west of the A9, before being upgraded as the M876 / renumbered as the (also out of zone) B905. The current A88 has never run west of the A9.

The obvious solution would be to extend the A977 or A985 west, but in my view the better solution would be to re-route the A91 over the far superior A977 route (and the A88), away from the slow crawl through the Hillfoots Villages, and thus the M876 becomes the M91. The existing A91 section could be lazily renumbered as an extension of the A911.
This could also give the A91 two sections of 'A91(M)' - the existing bit at J8 on the M90, and a new bit at J2 on the M91.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A876 :

The A876 is a short but important route in Central Scotland, and has seen a significant amount of change over the years.

The road begins at the end of the M876 at the rebuilt J3 (Bowtrees Interchange). The interchange was formerly a flat roundabout, but the M876 now flows overhead directly onto the A876. The A876 continues as a dual carriageway for approximately one mile, before ending on a new

... Read More