|Location Map ( geo)|
|The memorial that gives its name to the junction|
|A344, A360, B3086|
|Junctions related to the A344|
|Junctions related to the A360|
|Junctions related to the B3086|
Airman's Corner (also known as Airman's Cross) is a roundabout junction that takes its name from the early pioneers of flight who used the area as makeshift runways.
Originally the junction was a staggered crossroads, where the B3086 terminates and the A360 is forced to TOTSO down towards the A303. The old A344 was the other road that terminated here, having run up to the other side of Stonehenge to the A303 in order to cut the corner.
However, as part of the Stonehenge area restoration project, the junction was replaced with the roundabout we see today. The kink in the B3086 was removed to allow the road to plug straight into the roundabout, whilst the old A344 was converted into an access route for the new Stonehenge visitor centre.
Previously, a memorial to two pilots who were killed in a plane crash nearby during 1912 was sited on the junction, giving it the names we know today. The flat, open land made the area ideal for military flight training.
The inscription reads 'To the memory of Captain Loraine and Staff-Sergeant Wilson who whilst flying on duty, met with a fatal accident near this spot on July 5th 1912. Erected by their comrades'. However, with the changes to the junction, the memorial was relocated to the entrance to the visitor centre.
|Salisbury, Andover, Amesbury, Exeter, Honiton (A303)|
|Stonehenge, Amesbury||closed June 2013, to be mostly returned to nature|
|Devizes (A360), Warminster (A36), Shrewton||now A360|
|Salisbury, Honiton (A303)||now A360|