Belle Vue Roundabout
|Belle Vue Roundabout|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Cockermouth NW Bypass|
|A594, A595, A5086|
|Junctions related to the A595|
The junction is a 4-arm roundabout; the NW arm carries the A594 towards Maryport, the NE arm carries the A595 towards Carlisle, the SE arm carries the A5086 towards Cockermouth, and the SW arm carries the A595 towards Workington, Whitehaven and Keswick.
This junction hasn't always existed in its current layout, and has actually moved slightly from its original location. In 1922, junction was a TOTSO T junction for the A595 with the then B5299, where the A595 came from Carlisle and turned left towards Cockermouth, while the B5299 went to Maryport. By the mid-1920s, the A594 was extended towards Maryport along the route of the B5299, with the road into Cockermouth from Belle Vue becoming a A595/A594 multiplex.
In the early 1960s, the T junction was upgraded to a roundabout, said to be the first one built in Cumberland.
In the late 60s, the extension of the A66 and shortening of the A594 through Cumbria saw Belle Vue roundabout become the new terminus of the A594, and the A595 into Cockermouth was no longer a multiplex.
The next, and arguably the largest, change to this junction came in 1991, coinciding with the opening of the Cockermouth Western bypass. A new roundabout was built about 100 metres north, which is the current layout as described above. The A595 was routed down the new bypass, while the A5086 was extended up to Belle Vue from the town centre. As a result of the new roundabout being built, the original roundabout was reverted back to a T junction design, although the former A595 and A594 approaches have now been closed off by approaches to the new roundabout.
|Keswick (A66), Workington (A66), Whitehaven|