|Location Map ( geo)|
|Perth and Kinross|
Aldour Bridge was built in 1949 by the Hydro Board to replace the Clunie Bridge further upstream. The reason for the new bridge was that the River Tummel was being dammed a little upstream to create Loch Faskally, a Hydro Electric Reservoir. This flooded the site of the Clunie Bridge, and presumably the new site for Aldour Bridge was the first suitable location downstream of the new dam for a new road bridge to connect Clunie to Pitlochry. Of course, more recently the town has been bypassed, with the A9 now crossing the Tummel twice, rendering this bridge virtually obsolete.
The Bridge is a basic concrete structure, with metal parapets. It carries a standard S2 road and is supplemented by a pedestrian Suspension bridge about halfway back to the dam. The dam also provides a pedestrian crossing of the river.