|Location Map ( geo)|
|Perth and Kinross|
Caputh Bridge carries the B9099 across the River Tay a few miles north of Perth. The current bridge was built in 1993 to replace an older structure, which had in turn replaced a ferry service.
The modern bridge consists of 3 spans across the river channel, supported by two piers in the river itself. Each of the spans is crossed by 4 parallel steel girders, carrying a concrete deck. The roadway is S2, with a pavement on the western side, and steel railing parapets on both sides.
The previous bridge was dedicated to the then Queen, as it was started in the Golden Jubilee year. It stood immediately upstream of the present crossing, although very little evidence of it remains. The bridge was again 3 spans, with a narrower, possibly single track, roadway, the structure supported by the lattice truss parapets.
The bridge was constructed by William Arrol, and reputedly contained metalwork from the ill-fated Tay Bridge which had collapsed in 1879. However, the Tay Bridge was mainly Wrought Iron, while the bridge at Caputh was largely Steel. When it was dismantled, the validity of this old story was checked more thoroughly, but with little proof either way.