|Location Map ( geo)|
|Perth and Kinross|
Kenmore Bridge dates back to 1774, and was built with the proceeds of the Annexed Estates after the failed Jacobite Rebellion. It crosses the River Tay at the foot of Loch Tay, indeed virtually at the point where the River is first known as the Tay, and connects the two halves of Kenmore village, originally the Estate village for nearby Taymouth Castle.
Consisting of 5 main arches, only the northern 4 actually span the river, with the southern arch sitting on the southern bank. The central arch, as is often the case, is the largest with the road rising to cross it, producing a slight hump-backed appearance. Either side of this central arch are two circular holes piercing the spandrels, producing an unusual effect!
At the northern end, there are an additional 3 flood-water arches crossing the river bank, although they appear to be blocked due to a lack of use! The bridge is now single carriageway, controlled by traffic lights although there is plenty of evidence that it was once 2-way, narrowed to provide a footway across the bridge.