Coronation Bridge (Pitlochry)
|Location Map ( geo)|
The A9 crosses the River Tummel twice at Pitlochry with this, the northern, bridge technically crossing Loch Faskally. It is unclear where the name came from, as Pitlochry was bypassed many years after 1952, the last coronation date. Almost directly underneath the road bridge, is a footbridge called Clunie Bridge, replacing a road bridge that was lost when the reservoir was created.
The A9 Bridge
The Bridge is a steel girder bridge, with an S2 Concrete deck. The structure is supported by two inclined piers 'launching' from either bank. A rather unusual feature of this bridge is that it has 3 permanent cradles underneath, which run on suspended rails to facilitate maintainance of the structure. The A9 dualling plans will keep this Bridge for northbound traffic and a new structure, identical in design will be built for southbound traffic.
The Clunie Bridge we see today was constructed in 1950 as a replacement for the original road bridge. It was built by the Hydro Board who were constructing the dam for the reservoir, and is apparently the 'first bridge in this country to be built wholly of Aluminium Alloy', according to a nearby plaque.
The older Clunie Bridge was built in 1832 by local subscriptions, and demolished in May 1950. It stood a little to the west of the current footbridge, and connected Cluniemore to Pitlochry town. The remains of the northern abutment can still be found, with stone from the bridge re-used to create a small viewpoint. Out in the loch, a small buoy marks where further stonework from the bridge lies, and it becomes visible when the water level is low.
|Coronation Bridge (Pitlochry)|