New Bridge carries the A780, Buccleuch Street over the River Nith in the centre of Dumfries. The bridge was originally built in 1794 as a replacement for Devorgilla Bridge a little downstream, and consists of 5 stone arches, increasing in size to the centre, and giving a slightly humped profile. In order to increase the width of the deck, the original semi-circular cut-waters were extended up the spandrels in 1893 to provide support for pavements to be cantilevered out on either side. This new work, although carried out in the same stone, was done in a much more ornate manner than the original bridge.
In 1935, in order to strengthen the bridge, the old deck and infill was stripped out and replaced with a new reinforced concrete deck, and further work was carried out in 1985 when the bridge was widened further and fitted with new, period-style, parapet railings. Today the bridge carries three lanes of the A780, the centre lane changing at the crown to provide turning lanes for the junctions on either side of the bridge.
A short distance down stream from the New Bridge stands the much older Devorgilla Bridge, although the true age of the structure is not at all clear thanks to a chequered history. A date of 1431 for the first bridge here has been suggested, although most of it was washed away in 1619. The bridge re-opened the following year thanks to some impressively speedy reconstruction. Further work was carried out in 1725 and 1828, when three arches were removed thanks to a reduction in the width of the Nith by land reclamation. Today the bridge serves as a footbridge, with six irregular arches spanning the river between piers protected by substantial triangular cutwaters.