C2r look on the A1/Adwick le Street - Darrington page and you'll see that I'm right. Grey
You've probably spotted I've added a rough list of trams here: Sandbox:Tramway. I compiled most of it ages ago (well, September after visiting Crich) and have just filled in a few blanks this afternoon. I also have it as an excel file if that is of any interest. I'm not quite sure what use it is, but feel free to use or ignore it. Rileyrob (talk) 17:03, 27 December 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks Rob - I admit I know very little about trams, but had a photo of some from America and saw that we didn't have a page, so started one and then thought "well why not try and get others interested in the wiki by asking people to help" - if nobody does, I'll get around to it at some point, after I've put my favourite American photos up, and also got Cambridgeshire done on the C-Road hunt... C2r (talk) 17:54, 27 December 2017 (UTC)
CatMaps template and C roads
Hi, I've noticed that the CatMaps template that identifies whether or not a road page has a map in the routebox doesn't seem to work for C roads... I don't understand enough about wiki source code to know whether it can be modified easily, or how many other things that would break. The template is pretty redundant on the class III road hidden categories in its current form. Might you be able to look into it? Gca690 (talk) 10:31, 12 January 2018 (UTC)
Just a quick question - are the two new A14(M) pages the wrong way around? Surely the extant A14(M) should be in the primary "A14(M)" page, and the potential, maybe, perhaps Expressway should be at "A14(M) (Expressway)" or something?
Oh, and additionally, there was actually a proposal in the 1990s to extend the extant A14(M) southwards to Girton. It's mentioned in the 1994 Trunk Roads: England report as "A14(M) Bar Hill - M1-A1 Link Road", and is mentioned on PM.
- Hi Steven,
- It's a bit of a difficult one - I've moved the page because of the confusion with the expressway proposals. I also think that the section will probably be renumbered again with the opening of the Huntingdon to Cambridge improvements but even if not it really forms a different route to the proposed A14 expressway.
- While it is a bit early, that stretch of road will become presumably technically be the A1307(M) when the new A14 opens so if Brampton-Girton opens as A14(M) then the pages are named right for then. I guess we can M25 (Republic of Ireland) the new build bit - where it was built as N25, but we all assumed it would open as M25, due to the redesignation binge going on at the time, only for it to not open as motorway - and so have that future route, the more important road, as the main article. Though I'm more with Steven on this. Have A14(M) (Expressway) even if the current one keeps its name. A14(M) as a disambiguation page. Si404 (talk) 15:55, 14 January 2018 (UTC)
- Ha, it's got a regular scheduled service between Southampton and Brooklyn, so I think it counts. I've not included other cruises or charter vessels, or sailing ships that don't meet this criteria! I think I'm nearly there with it now (I clearly like boats - you're not doing so bad yourself!) - there's probably a few more smaller passenger ferries across rivers and things that I should include - the ability to use different colours would be nice... C2r (talk) 16:43, 21 June 2018 (BST)
Crossing template improvements.
Hi Chris, excellent work on this - adding loads of features we should have had long ago (and I love the links to the actual listings). A few requests (I'm sure you are on the case for many already):
- The metres to feet and inches conversion doesn't need the inches as that's overkill accuracy that goes beyond the initial measurement!
- Height might also be useful to be able to add for bridges and tunnels (to show depth), when they are notable.
- The length and gridref fields from the Routebox template would be be useful for longer crossings - ferries as well as bridges, passes and tunnels.
- Max-grade for passes would be a useful field
- Do we have tunnel types (bored, cut-and-cover, immersed tube)? If not, do we want that?
- Thanks Si, yes, I've been figuring out how it all works and am putting together a series of changes that are around trying to use as much common code as possible, fixing bugs, and adding new fields and automated categorisation; I have documented everything I've done in a wiki page so that we have a record of what we're including and what we're not (and why) - seeUser:C2r/2018 Infobox changes.
- I'll add a parameter to the metres to ft/in conversion to determine whether the template asks it for inches - in some cases there may be a need if we're measuring something quite small.
- Yes, I'm planning to add a height for bridges (and a depth for tunnels) - again, one of the things I'd want to be able to do is list dynamically the ten highest bridges in the country, or the highest bridge in each county. As we're all about roads and facts and figures, that we can't just have pages that dynamically update to include this information is a source of frustration to me!
- See Cork - Santander ferry where I've put in duration and length - I'm planning to bring the gridrefs from the routebox into the infobox, yes.
- Yes, I'll get to more on hill passes later, I agree.
- Probably, yes - we're thinking about categorisation of things as at the moment many things are categorised in one giant category that is practically valueless (e.g. all crossings) - although useful for AWB of course.
- I seem to have broken the navbox on O'Connell Bridge though - I think it's because the category contains an apostrophe. I'll have to look at that later. C2r (talk) 13:39, 15 September 2018 (BST)