|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Boat of Cromdale|
|Mains of Cromdale|
This very utilitarian, modern steel truss bridge should sit ill at ease next to the pretty old parish church, but thanks to some neighbouring trees and the scenic backdrop of Strathspey, it is difficult to see the two together, and when you do the surrounding landscape tends to take over!
The steel lattice work truss bridge originally spanned the river in two gos, with a central pier to support the middle of the bridge. At either end are concrete and stone abutments, however at some point in the last few years the eastern abutment was either damaged or succumbed to the weather and so an additional, temporary(?), pier has been added very close to the rivers eastern bank.
Whilst the bridge may not be the most important crossing of the river, it is likely to be a tricky operation to carry out a proper repair, or replacement in the location.
As with many of the bridges across the Spey, the one at Cromdale appears to have replaced an ancient ferry, as the place name 'Boat of Cromdale' appears just a little downstream. In the past, it is likely that the ferry would have been connected to the church which stands immediately east of the bridge.
The present structure is at least the third bridge on this site. A suspension bridge was built here around 1881 by Louis Harper. It was washed away in 1894 and was replaced by another suspension bridge. This too collapsed and was replaced by the current bridge in 1922. It was constructed by Dorman Long, whose main claim to fame is the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The supports for the earlier bridge, which was on a slightly different alignment, are still visible.
CANMORE site record for Cromdale Bridge
Harper Bridges pictures of the 1881 and 1894 bridges