The old Bridge of Avon, also known as Bridge of Campdalemore in the past, on the A939 is a twin arch stone structure, constructed in 1754 by Caulfeild as part of his military road from Strathspey up and over The Lecht. The stucture climbs from the east to west bank, due to the difference in heights, and so the western arch which crosses the main channel is significantly higher and wider. The smaller eastern arch primarily acts as a flood arch, giving extra capacity when the river is in spate.
The new bridge at Bridge of Avon was opened in 1990, relieving the old structure, and straightening the road at the same time. The old alignment of the A939 is now part of the B9136, enabling the two roads to meet without either using the old bridge. The bridge itself is a fairly ordinary single span Girder bridge, albeit with rather elaborate flanking parapets at either end. Each of these includes a little plaque giving information on the construction and opening of the new bridge.
The B9136 terminates on the A939 next to the new Bridge of Avon, at a simple give-way T junction. Of course, this junction only dates back to 1990, when the B9136 was extended along the former section of A939. Previously, the two routes met at a very similar junction next to the old bridge!