The original bridge at Nethy was built in the 1760s by Sir James Grant. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by a flood in 1799 and the locals had to wait nearly 20 years before it was properly replaced. The river here is not really suitable for a ferry crossing, so it seems most likely that it was simply forded when practicable, or that travellers had to make a long detour at other times.
The current bridge was originally built to a design by Thomas Telford in 1815-20. It consists of three arches, the central one slightly larger, producing a slight hump-backed appearance. Of the three arches, the River Nethy currently flows under the southern one and half of the middle one, with the northern arch apparently serving as a garden shed! Despite Telford's expertise, the bridge was again badly damaged by a flood in 1829, although this appears to have been quickly repaired.