The Old Speybridge has the rather grand distinction of being the oldest bridge across the River Spey downstream of Laggan. It is also the only complete stone bridge across the same lengthy section of the river, with all of the others either having been swept away in floods or replaced over the years. Sadly, however, Speybridge has been replaced, by the New Speybridge half a mile upstream. The old bridge does, however, survive to carry the Speyside Way long distance footpath.
The bridge consists of three stone arches across the river, stepping up in size from north to south, as the northern arch only covers the shallow beach area on the inside of the meander. The arch spans are approximately 25foot, 45foot and 80foot, each one taller than the last as well. Dating from 1754, and built by Major William Caulfeild as part of his road from Perthshire to Fort George, it is perhaps remarkable that the bridge has survived for so long, although the substantial metal strapwork on either face suggests that major repairs were carried out in the past.
Reflecting its age, the bridge deck is rather narrow, and would only have allowed for single file traffic, even in the stagecoach era. While many other bridges in the Highlands were widened, the unusual nature and height of this structure, as well as its location may well have been the reasons why the new bridge was built instead.