|Location Map ( geo)|
Just to the west of the Raploch Interchange at Stirling, the A84 crosses the River Forth as it heads to Doune and Callander. Today the road crosses a modern concrete bridge, but the original stone arched structure still stands next to it.
The Old Bridge
Sometimes erroneousely described as 'Telford's Bridge' the older of the two structures crossing the River Forth at Drip Bridge was actually built in about 1773 by public subscription. The bridge is built of stone and has 5 segmental arches across the river. The central arch is the largest, with the outer two the smallest.
The New Bridge
The old bridge was obviously not wide enough for modern traffic flows, so a new bridge was built alongside. It is shown on the 1961 OS map, but it is not certain if the bridge in use today is that old. It is a lattice-work Concrete structure forming two open arches across the river, with smaller arches carrying the road over the riverbanks.