|Location Map ( geo)|
|Kilmahog nr Callander|
|Crossings related to the A821|
|Crossings related to the Trossachs Trail|
The bridge at Kilmahog is the furthest upstream crossing of the short River Teith. It connects the A821 Trossachs & Aberfeldy road with the A84, the junction of the two routes being just a hundred metres or so to the north of the bridge.
The bridge is a very basic two-arch stone bridge, with more recent iron railings on the parapets. It is undated, but was built in 1777 with funds raised from the forfeiture of Highland Estates after the 1745 Jacobite Uprisings. Nearby Callander Bridge was paid for in the same way, as was Gartcosh Bridge. Indeed Gartcosh Bridge was built to the same design by the same mason, Peter McInnes from Crieff, as part of the same contract. That contract states that the roadway was 15 feet wide, with 3 foot high parapets. It was perhaps to widen the bridge that the parapets were replaced.