|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A81|
Callander has had a bridge across the River Teith for many centuries. The current one was built in 1906 and replaced one built in 1766.
Callander Bridge is constructed from Red Sandstone and consists of 3 broad flat arches spanning the river. It was constructed in 1906 by Perthshire County Council to replace the previous structure.
Before the new bridge was built in 1906, it is probable that there had been a bridge on or near this site for many centuries. Fortunately, the previous date stone has been preserved in the parapet of the current bridge, and whilst it is very badly worn it is still possible to make out the following information.
The previous bridge was constructed in 1766 (making it later than the Military Roads that were built across northern Scotland in the previous 4 decades). The money was raised from local subscriptions and also from the Government. The money provided from the government was likely to have been very controversial, as it came from the sale of forfeited / annexed Highland Estates after the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. However, the people of Callander appear to have been proud enough of this fact to let it remain un vandalised on the bridge's date stone for nearly 250 years.