The Bridge over the River Teith at Doune is also known as Bridge of Teith. It is probably the oldest surviving road bridge across the Forth or Teith, dating back to 1535.
The bridge is a simple stone structure with 2 semi-circular arches across the river. It retains its original inscription panel, along with a coat of arms on the eastern parapet, as well as a replica dating from the 1866 widening opposite. Sadly both have become badly weathered, and were not readable with the busy traffic and thick snow!
The bridge was built by Robert Spittal in 1535, probably on the site of an older structure, and then significantly widened and repaired in 1866. It is still one of the narrowest primary bridges in Scotland, a situation made worse by the sharp bend at the northern end and the junction with the B8032 at the southern end.