Kelso Bridge crosses the River Tweed on the A699 in Kelso. The bridge consists of 5 equal spans crossing the braided river channel. It was built by John Rennie and opened in 1803 to replace an older bridge of 1754. Some of the detailing, such as the twin columns rising up the piers to support refuges, appear to have been copied from the nearby, and earlier, Teviot Bridge. However, the refuges are only shallow and home to lamp posts, although the wide roadway allows for good sized pavements across the bridge.