|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A707|
The Yair Bridge carries the A707 across the River Tweed at Yair. It is believed to have been built around 1764, when the road was constructed through the Tweed Valley.
The Bridge consists of three stone arches spanning the river, with semi-hexagonal refuges above the piers one each side between the arches. The roadway is only single track, and so the bridge is controlled by traffic lights. The cutwaters appear to have been heavily repaired in recent years, perhaps when the deck was replaced with concrete in 1988, but unlike many of the other bridges across the Tweed and its tributaries, the bridge has never been widened. This is perhaps one of the reasons why the A707 no longer appears to be primary, despite being shown as such on some maps.
Immediately on the north bank of the Tweed, the A707 swings westwards to follow the river upstream, and the B7060 joins from the east, having followed the river up from the Tweed Bridge near Galashiels. The junction is a simple give-way T junction.