Star.pngStar.pngStar.pngStar grey.pngStar grey.png

Nottingham Outer Ring Road

From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nottingham Outer Ring Road
Location Map ( geo)
Cameraicon.png No pictures uploaded (Upload?)
From:  Arnold (SK577442)
To:  Gamston (SK604376)
Via:  Queens Medical Centre
Distance:  11.6 miles (18.7 km)
Former Number(s):  A614
Traditional Counties

Nottinghamshire

Route outline (key)
A6514 Arnold - Queens Medical Centre
A52 Queens Medical Centre - Gamston Island

Nottingham Outer Ring Road had its origins in the early 1920's and facilitated the joint original aims of a north - south bypass of Nottingham and the expansion of housing on the western side. The stumbling block was a new crossing of the River Trent which was not incorporated into the Ring Road until 1965. The opening of Gamston Lings Bar Road in 1981 catered for increasing west-east traffic.

The Western Boulevard section


Opening Dates

See table below.


Location Historic County Date Distance Notes Location Map
Mansfield Road, Daybrook – Nottingham Road, Basford Nottinghamshire 1922 1.7 miles (2.7 km) 1st section. Valley Road. Finishing touches were being made per the 30 June 1922 Nottingham Journal. An unemployment relief scheme which had started in November 1920, forecast cost £103,700. 50% loan funded by the Government's Arterial Road funding scheme.
SABRE • Google • geo
Nottingham Road, Basford – Nuthall Road, Aspley Nottinghamshire 1932 0.7 miles (1.1 km) 3rd section. Western Boulevard (north part). The section from Old Basford Church to Nuthall Road, Aspley was reported as completed by the 2 April 1932 Nottingham Evening Post. The Radford railway bridge to connect this section to the northern 1st section at Valley Road was completed by November 1932.
SABRE • Google • geo
Nuthall Road, Aspley – Wollaton Road Nottinghamshire 1932 1.3 miles (2 km) 4th section. Western Boulevard (south part) was opened on 21st November 1932 by John Pybus, Minister of Transport. Western Boulevard was 120 feet wide with dual 24 foot carriageways, 28 foot central reservation (to allow for future carriageway widening), and footpaths. Four rows of trees were planted at 75 foot intervals. Cost had been £249,872. This completed the Ring Road from A60 Mansfield Road to A52 Derby Road.
SABRE • Google • geo
Wollaton Road – Derby Road Nottinghamshire 1928 0.8 miles (1.2 km) 2nd section. Middleton Boulevard. No completion reports have been seen, but it had been opened by the Royal Show on 12 July 1928. There is a reference to the Boulevard / Scalford Drive junction in the 28 November 1927 Nottingham Evening Post, but the road may not have been complete at the northern end. The new 91 foot width canal bridge at the northern junction on Wollaton Road was opened in the week following 16 June 1928.
SABRE • Google • geo
Derby Road, Wollaton – Beeston Road, Dunkirk Nottinghamshire 1938 0.5 miles (0.7 km) 5th section. Clifton Boulevard, north part (originally Abbey Boulevard). Mentioned as open in the Nottingham Evening Post of 2 June 1938. A previous report on 21 May 1937 about it's construction stated that it would be completed next summer. 20 foot dual carriageways with 9 foot cyclepaths and 10 foot footpaths.
SABRE • Google • geo
Beeston Road, Dunkirk – Melton Road, Edwalton Nottinghamshire 1965 4.1 miles (6.6 km) 6th section. Clifton Boulevard Southern Extension. It incorporated Clifton Bridge of which the western span single carriageway bridge had been opened on 5th June 1958 by Princess Alexander to provide a river crossing from the B679 at Clifton onto Queens Drive into the City Centre. Only 1/2 mile, north of the bridge, was dual carriageway. A second parallel bridge to the east of the first bridge was added in 1972 to make a dual carriageway crossing.
SABRE • Google • geo
Melton Road, Edwalton – Radcliffe Road, Gamston Nottinghamshire 1981 2.5 miles (4 km) 7th section. Gamston Lings Bar Road. The road from A606 Melton Road at Edwalton to A52 Radcliffe Road at Gamston was completed in September 1981 per the Policy for Roads in England: 1981 Report. Outturn works cost £6.7 million. Only 0.3 mile at the Edwalton end and 0.8 mile at Gamston end was dual carriageway. The Ring Road from Derby Road to Melton Road, Edwalton was also renumbered A52. This completed the Outer Ring Road.
SABRE • Google • geo

Improvement Dates

Location Historic County Date Distance Notes Location Map
Queens Medical Centre Roundabout Nottinghamshire 1984 0.7 miles (1.1 km) The Grade Separated Junction was completed in March 1984 (per the 1985 National Roads England Report). Outturn works cost was £3.8 million.
SABRE • Google • geo






Nottingham Outer Ring Road
Other nearby roads
Nottingham
A52 • A60 • A453 • A606 • A609 • A610 • A611 • A612 • A613 (Nuthall - Alfreton) • A614 • A648 (Kegworth - Nottingham) • A6002 • A6005 • A6008 • A6011 • A6019 • A6130 • A6130 (Huntingdon Street, Nottingham) • A6200 • A6211 • A6464 • A6514 • B680 • B681 • B682 • B683 • B684 • B685 • B686 • B690 • B5010 • B6004 • B6005 (Stapleford) • B6008 • B6235 (Nottingham) • B6236 (Nottingham) • B6464 • E13 • E31 (via Carlisle) • E106 (Northampton - Leeds) • M1 • M42 • RM182 • T52 (Britain) • T53 (Britain) • T54 (Britain)

SABRE - The Society for All British and Irish Road Enthusiasts
Discuss - Digest - Discover - Help