From Roader's Digest: The SABRE Wiki
|From:||Stow Heath (SO940969)|
|Length:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B4162 is a relatively dull, seemingly unimportant road to the southeast of Wolverhampton city centre. It starts on A41 in the Stow Heath area of the city and heads generally south-eastwards through low-grade residential and industrial areas, passing Hickman Park on its way to terminating on A4039 just west of Bilston Town Centre.
The road is, however, of some minor historical interest. The route of the A41 Wellington Road between the northern terminus of the B4162 and B4484 in Bilston Town Centre is not part of the historical road network and was constructed circa 1821 by Thomas Telford as part of his improvements to the London - Holyhead coaching road. Prior to that, this relatively insignificant road was part of the coaching road which took a dogleg through Bilston, having come from Birmingham along the A41 Oxford Street, then west along Church Street and High Street through Bilston town centre before heading north along what is now the B4162 before rejoining the present A41 on the way to Wolverhampton. None of this was sufficient to give this road classified status in 1922, although the road gained its number by the mid-1940s.