Comet Roundabout (Port Glasgow)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Comet Roundabout with Port Glasgow Town Hall beyond|
Comet Roundabout lies on the A8 in the centre of Port Glasgow, very close to the south bank of the River Clyde. It takes its name from the first commercially successful steamship in Europe, PS Comet, which was built in the town in 1812 and of which a full scale replica stands beside the roundabout.
It was built as a four arm roundabout when the A8 dual carriageway was realigned in 2007 to make way for the retail and housing developments on the site of the former Kingston and Glen shipyards. Two arms served the A8, one served the (as yet unbuilt) retail park and the other served the Anderson Street industrial area and the old quays. This was the second major realignment of this stretch of the A8 since the early 1970s when the town centre was by-passed.
Following a campaign by local business owners, a short fifth arm (the 50m long Comet Road) was built in 2017 to link the town centre more directly to the A8 and thereby the new retail park.
|Greenock, Town Centre, Gibshill|
|Glasgow, Langbank, Bishopton, Paisley, (M8), Erskine Bridge (M898)|
|Comet Road, Town Centre||Opened November 2017|
|Tesco car park, Retail Park via Russell Way||Occasionally used as an emergency A8 diversion route|
|Anderson Street, Mirrin's Shore, Steamboat Quay|