|Location Map ( geo)|
|New Holland Pier in 1981|
|To:||Hull Corporation Pier|
|Distance:||3.8 km (2.4 miles)|
|Lincolnshire • Yorkshire|
|Abolished: Superseded by Humber Bridge|
The Hull to New Holland ferry, more generally known as the Humber Ferry is a now defunct crossing of the Humber, as it was replaced in 1981 by the Humber Suspension Bridge upstream from the ferry.
There were numerous crossings throughout the day, mostly with timetabled connections to the railway at New Holland. The journey time was 20 minutes.
Although there was a regular crossing in the area as early as 1803, this ferry crossing from Hull to Lincolnshire was inaugurated in 1820 by PS Magna Carta. It came under ownership of the railways in 1845, and passed through the North Eastern Railway and then under the Sealink brand of British Railways.
The ferry service was suspended on the day that the Humber Bridge opened, with the A15 being routed over it.