|Abolished: Superseded by Erskine Bridge|
Before the Erskine Bridge was built, the Erskine Ferry operated across the Clyde between Erskine and Old Kilpatrick, part of the original A740. It was able to carry a dozen or so cars and took 3–5 minutes to cross the river. There was a frequent service from 6am to 10/11pm in the summer and starting at 10am in the winter months and on Sundays. In 1937 the fare was 9d for a car and driver, by 1963 that had increased to 2s.
Today, both sides of the ferry can still be accessed. The north side in Old Kilpatrick is now blocked off as the road leads to the neighbouring recycling centre. However, it is possible to park nearby and squeeze round the barriers, jump the puddles and get onto the old slipway. To the south, access seems a little easier, with a large car park and picnic site for the country park just behind Riverside House, presumably originally built for the ferry operators.