Fairy Bridge (Skye)
|Location Map ( geo)|
The Fairy Bridge sits at the junction of the A850 and B886 to the north of Dunvegan on Skye. It takes its name from the local legends of fairies in the days when the local landscape was ruled by the Clan MacLeod of Dunvegan, a clan whose legends frequently include fairies - not least the Fairy Flag which is supposedly the clans good luck charm, and according to one story came into the clan's posession at this very spot.
The Old Bridge
The old Fairy Bridge is obviously far newer than the day when the clan acquired the flag sometime before 1580, but almost certainly stands on the same spot. Its actual date is not known, although it closely resembles the bridges built across the Highlands in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It is a single arch span, constructed from rubble, with large drystone abutments to span the steep gulley through which the stream flows.
The New Bridge
The new bridge which carries the A850 lies a little upstream and is a fairly standard S2 concrete structure dating back to the 1960s when the road from Dunvegan back to Portree was improved.
|Fairy Bridge (Skye)|