|Distance:||17 miles (27.4 km)|
|Now part of:||A855|
|Route outline (key)|
In 1922, the A855 was only classified as a Branch to Portree Pier. The onward route north (which to be fair did turn off the A855 before the end of the road) was the B887, as far as Brogaig at Staffin at least, where it ended at a fork. From here an unclassified road continued north along the coast whilst another headed west towards Uig.
However, the original B887 did not last for long. The A855 had been extended along its modern route by 1932, allowing the B887 number to be reused on Harris.