|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||12.1 miles (19.5 km)|
|Met (1961):||A850, B8036, A855, Pier|
|Now part of:||A87|
|Route outline (key)|
The A856 is the former number for what is now part of the extended A87 route on the Isle of Skye. The road ran from Borve, to the west of Portree, northwards to Uig from where ferries sail to Harris and North Uist in the Western Isles. The road was renumbered in 1995 when the Skye Bridge was opened and the A87 extended across the island.
As this road was renumbered relatively recently, the route was somewhat different in 1995 to that first classified back in 1922. Widened throughout and realigned in places, the road is now a fast S2 route, designed to cope with the ferry traffic where much of it was single track until the 1950s or 60s.