This bridge is a replacement of the near by 17th Century Clydesholm Bridge, which stands immediately upstream. The bridge has a single concrete arch span across the River Clyde, with wide S2 carriageway and pavements. The bridge is built on a skew, as is evidenced by the large blocks on the parapets which sit over the abutments, and are not opposite each other on the deck. These add extra mass over the abutments, so strengthening the bridge. The bridge was opened in April 1959, thus relieving the narrow Clydesholm Bridge which has since become a dead end serving properties.