This article is about Victoria Bridge across the Clyde in Glasgow. For other bridges called Victoria Bridge, see Victoria Bridge.
Victoria Bridge carries the western arm of the A8 across the River Clyde. It is one way city-bound albeit it with 2 lanes. However, it also has a contraflow Bus, Cycle and Taxi lane. It is complemented by the Albert Bridge on the other side of the railway bridge, which is two-way. On the northern shore, the A8 immediately crosses the A814, to take Bridgegate towards Glasgow Cross. Meanwhile, on the southern shore, the A8 takes Gorbals Street as far as Norfolk Street, which is the A8 in both directions, Gorbals Street becoming the A730.
Built in 1854, Victoria Bridge is a five-span stone arch bridge across the Clyde, with a slightly humped profile thanks to the increase in size of the arches towards the centre. The decorative balustraded parapets are interrupted over the piers by plain stone work panels, which are also repeated mid-span. As other bridges further downstream prevented large vessels reaching this far, there was no need to provide high clearance, or a lifting / swing mechanism.