Trowbridge is a market town in west central Wiltshire. In 1889 it became the county town of Wiltshire – largely because of its good rail connections to both Salisbury and Swindon – when Wiltshire County Council was formed. The large County Hall, in Bythesea Road, dates from 1939.
Most of the main roads currently serving the town have been rerouted to a greater or lesser degree in the last twenty years, with the A361 now passing through a profusion of roundabouts as it heads east past Hilperton to the A350. Many of these realignments have been engulfed by modern housing estates as the town rapidly expands, although the A350 still passes to the south beyond the urban area.
As can be seen from the map on the left, the biggest change to Trowbridge's road network was the construction of the County Way relief road for the A361. This subsequently led to the re-routing of both the A363 and the B3106. However, considering the importance of the A361 route across northern Wiltshire, it is perhaps surprising that the town has not received a more substantial bypass.